34. The Break Down Podcast

Fall, Year 1, Month 9

Josie: Hello everyone! Welcome! To Ty and Josie's Break Down podcast.

Ty: I still think we need to change the name.

Josie: Why?! It fits with what we do! We break down things and analyze them.

Ty: It makes us sound as if we're two teenagers that have emotional breakdowns.

Josie: No it doesn't. The title is fine. Jace said he liked it.

Ty: Jace is also in love with you so that makes his option null and void.

Josie: We'll talk about this at a later date. To all our twenty-five listeners send us a tweet letting us know if you think the title works. Okay! Now on to today's topic!

*the drumming of hands on a table*

Ty and Josie: REEVE KELLER'S NEW ALBUM!!

Josie: That's right! We're breaking down Reeve's second and latest album: Killer Instinct.

Ty: For those of you who pretend not to know any current music artists and only think good music comes out of the sixties, well, let me break down who exactly Reeve Keller is. Reeve, born Oliver Reeve Keller, came on to the music scene a little over a year and a half ago.

Josie: Girl took the world by storm! This girl comes out of nowhere! And in her first year, her album makes the top of the charts, goes home with a Grammy for Best New Artist, has a world wide tour, AND drops a duet with J.J. Jones-

Ty: Which I was a huge fan of.

Josie: Same. The way their voices blended together was absolute magic.

Ty: This girl has been nonstop since she appeared and after her crazy world tour, you would have thought she'd take a break over the summer to work on her second album right? But does she?!

Josie: No! The girl hits us with the duet with the one, the only J.J. Jones. Makes you wonder when she gets time to breathe. Then, after a summer promoting her duet, this fall-

Ty: BAM! She drops her second album! Something we did expect. At all. Looking at what other artists do, we usually see them spending at least two years on one album cycle before dropping another.

Josie: Exactly. 7 Ships waited two years. And took a hiatus before releasing their third album.

Ty: Edward Seamus made us wait a full three years before giving us anything.!

Josie: Sebastian Colfax waited two years.

Ty: Hey Farewell killed us with four.

Josie: Rosie Mulligan, Late Nights, all of them took their time.

Ty: But not golden girl Reeve! Seems she was too impatient to wait. Just had to get that music out there.

Josie: Seems so. But hey, we aren't complaining.

Ty: Definitely not. I was blown away with her first album, which only hit it's anniversary last spring. I couldn't wait for the next one.

Josie: I'm with you on that. Now that we've tickled your curiosity, let's get down to the good stuff. Ty you've listened to 'Killer Instinct' straight through six times now, what's your verdict?

*a microphone scratches and a chair squeaks*

Ty: ...It's not as good as the first.

Josie: Ooooh!!! The truth is out. Break it down for us, girl Why isn't this new album up to snuff?

Ty: Here's the thing, as a whole the album is a great pop album. Right there along the lines of Toni Sykes. Honestly, one of the best pop albums for this year. It's sonically cohesive, but it lacks the originality of the first. You see, Reeve's first album was relatable, meaningful, raw but with a touch of whimsy that gave the listener a bit of hope. It shook the pop world because it put everyone else to shame. But this second album...

Josie: Was lackluster.

Ty: Yes! Exactly! The lyrics were still strong and still sounded like Reeve, but they weren't what I expected. They felt...

Josie: Old.

Ty: Yeah. They felt old. Like someone had dug them out of her archives. For instance, in the song 'Fragile', she mentions walking across the Charles River at night. But if we look at the timeline of the past year and a half, Reeve has barely been back to Boston at all. And when she did travel back, J.J. Jones, who she was currently dating, was never with her. So she couldn't have written that song about him.

Josie: I see what you mean. An old reference because it's an old song. I think its hard to top the first album, because in my mind is was perfection. I mean 'Sort Of' made me a sobbing mess on the floor.

Ty: I remember that night. It was not your best moment.

Josie: I appreciate you bringing over the ice cream.

Ty: Of course! What are best friends for if not to sit with you while you cry to a song on repeat and eat ice cream.

Josie: I never had a 'sob on the floor' type of moment with this album. Not that every album needs to have one, but it didn't hit me like the first one.

Ty: I have to agree. But I'm not going to jump ship. Not yet, at least. Reeve hooked me with her first album, the second wasn't what I wanted, I'll just have to wait for the third to see what she's got in store.

Josie: So what's the take away? Would you promote this album?

Ty: I would. Because like I said, I want to see what she brings with the third album and so that means I want to keep supporting her now. Overall, I would rate it six out of ten.

Josie: A decent rating. I would have to agree. You heard it here, folk. Go listen to the album, enjoy it for the pop creation that it is and we'll see you next week when we break down 7 Ships latest single and the story behind the video.

Ty: See you then! Ty and Josie out!

A/N:

Ty and Josie for the come back!!!

Fun fact: joymoment legitimately wrote this.

I needed a podcast, I knew I wanted Ty and Josie to do it but I really didn't want to write it.

Joy stepped up to the plate for me and hit a home run. Absolutely smashed.