11. Her First Award Show

Spring, Month 3

The sound was deafening, the lights blinding, the crowd overwhelming. Olivia's grip on Jayden's shoulder tightened in an attempt to keep herself steady. He responded with a quick squeeze on her waist where his hand rested at the appropriate height. His whispered commands kept flowing, mingled in with a joke or witty observation to keep her smiling.

"Just keep smiling. Look to your right. Smile. Notice that bald guy behind the rest of the photographers. I think his camera broke. Look to your left. Over the heads of the cameras. Give the crowds a little wave. Perfect. You're a natural, Killer. Soon they'll be cheering for you and forget all about me. Can I be your date when that happens?"

The cameras caught Olivia's playful tap to Jayden's chest, perfectly framing it with the smile that had turned to laughter right at the perfect second. But her grip refused to lessen. Jayden was her anchor in the wild sea of the award show red carpet.

She focused on Jayden's words, listening to his instructions. She followed his lead, taking his hand when they finally finished posing and she could relax her face. She stood by him, hand in hand while he flirted with reporters. They seemed preoccupied with him and him alone and seemed to forget that there was someone with him. But he steered them over to her eventually. They seemed reluctant to lose Jayden's attention but ate up the gaze he was sending over to Olivia.

Olivia hoped she came across witty and intelligent but she couldn't remember what exactly the questions had been nor how she had answered.

"Not bad. For your first red carpet," was all Jayden had to say on her performance. He finally led her inside where Jon was waiting for them.

"Good job, kids. You two look great. Reeve, Ava out-did herself. You look beautiful."

Olivia was already blushing and so could only nod in response to Jon's compliment. She should look good. A team of hair and make-up people had arrived at her house hours in advance and then forced her into a chair while they worked tirelessly. Ava was the last piece to arrive, carrying a garment bag taller than she was and just as heavy. But the weight was worth it as the crystals on Olivia's floor-length gown shimmered underneath the lights.

Jon led them to their seats and then left there to wait. Jayden continued to make jokes, mainly at the expense of those around them, as they waited for the show to start. Luckily they didn't have to wait long before the house lights dimmed and some famous Internet person walked out onstage to a cheering crowd. Olivia clapped along with them, having to lean over to ask Jayden exactly who the host was and why he was famous. Jayden smirked before answering, taking a long look to see whether or not she was joking or not. Convinced she was serious, Jayden answered.

Anton slipped in halfway through the opening number and took the seat to Olivia's right. He kept up a constant conversation with her and Olivia found herself almost forgetting exactly where she was. Jayden leaned in to steal her attention every few minutes and when he did Olivia noticed a camera pointed at them. His comments always began with a reminder to smile.

"You're up next, kid," Anton whispered halfway through the show. The slight hints of boredom that had been creeping in suddenly fled the scene and Olivia's nerves returned all at once. Her hand jumped to grab Jayden's as the next presenters walked out on stage.

"Don't worry, Killer. You win."

"How do you know? Aren't there other nominees? And since when was 'Best Cover' a category?"

"It got added this year. You can thank Jon for that. And trust me, you win. You wouldn't be here if you didn't."

Before Olivia had time to argue suddenly someone was reading her name and her face was up on the screen with several others who looked just as nervous as she did. She didn't have to wait long to hear her name called again as the presenter readout, "And the winner is... Reeve Keller! For her cover of 'Me and My Broken Heart' by JJ Jones!"