10. Grocery Shopping

Spring, Month 2

Olivia couldn't help studying Jayden. Luckily he didn't notice and continued to push his grocery cart through the crowded lanes of the Wholes Foods as if, simultaneously, no one was watching him and everyone was watching him.

He smiled at anyone who made eye contact with him, especially the moms in expensive workout clothes. He stopped to chat with the young girls who dared to approach him and ask for a photo. And each time he introduced Olivia as his special friend.

Most of the young girls ignored her completely. Two had seen her cover of Jayden's song and one of them had glared at her like she had stolen her boyfriend. From the way the young girls worked hard not to squeal at the sight of him, Olivia had the feeling she had done just that.

But she didn't know Jayden. She knew who JJ Jones was, of course. Everyone girl over the age of ten did and Hank's twelve-year-old daughter, Carmie, had been an especially enthusiastic fan. She had been the one to suggest Olivia cover it in the first place.

She had first met Jayden in passing, literally. Only a few days before, Jon had been showing her around the label headquarters, showing her where she would be working on her album for the foreseeable future. As they had come back out of the studio, Jayden had passed by, pausing long enough to shake Jon's hand and give Olivia a once-over.

He was already moving when he smiled at her and said "Hey! Cover girl! I saw the video. Not too bad. I'm flattered. Really." And then he disappeared around another corner, off to see people way more important than her.

She hadn't given Jayden a second thought until after she had finished a logistics meeting and left before Jon could tie her down and discuss everything they had just gone over in minute detail with his entire creative team. Her brain was fuzzy with details and plans and dates and schedules. She was looking for her rental car, not quite remembering what model it was exactly or what street-side spot she had parked it on.

Jayden was leaning against one of the cars lined up along the sidewalk, casually, with his sunglasses shielding his face as if the car was his own. He smiled when Olivia met his gaze and she nodded in acknowledgment, continuing her search.

Her face turned bright red when she was looking in the opposite direction and hit the unlock button, the car underneath Jayden letting out a light beep. She forced a smile that did nothing to hide her embarrassment and approached the pop-star.

"Hey, Keller."

"JJ."

"It's just Jayden. Or Jones. Or JJ Jayden Jones if you want to be redundant."

"It's Olivia."

"Is it?"

"Pretty sure."

"We'll stick with Keller. A compromise."

"Sure. Can you get off my car?"

Jayden stood up and leaned forward, extending his arm in a mock bow as if he were presenting the car to Olivia as a gift.

"You're vehicle, my lady."

Olivia nodded and walked to the driver's seat. She paused when Jayden opened the passenger side door as if to get in.

"What are you doing?"

"When do you start in the studio?"

"Monday."

"Let me guess, you just spent all day nailing down every single detail regarding your album, spending hours in a board meeting with people you'll never see again."