Chapter 34: All The Lies

Jess' POV

The next morning I wake up at six, remembering I have to prepare the diner before I can open it. Madelaine is still asleep, her face as if she's in pain.

Her mother is sick and they can't help her, she has told me. If only I know what to do in order to make her feel better, feel more safe. I sigh when I put on my shirt and quickly take the phone when it starts to ring, not wanting to wake her already.

'Jess?' I hear the familiar voice of my boss. 'Benny', I whisper and walk outside of the apartment into the hallway. 'Listen Mariano, I was wondering if you could come to work today. We have a few employees too short.'

I squeeze my eyes tight, hating to be in this situation. Luke doesn't know I'm working at wall-mart instead of going to school. Now that he is out of town and a sad girl lays in my bed, I can't work.

'I'm sorry but I can't. I have some problems here', I explain, but he doesn't care. I have already been promoted to employee of the month. Wasn't going to have that title for a long time. After checking in on Madelaine for one last time I walk downstairs, unlocking the door so Ceasar can come in.

As long as he isn't going to give me orders, I'm fine with him being around. But once he would try to demand me, I would tell him exactly how I feel about that little ferret.

(time skip)

The diner is open for almost half an hour. Since it is weekend I have nothing better to do than actually stay here. I should catch up with some homework Lane gave me, but my results aren't that bad at all.

The days I don't have any tests I go to Wall-mart, earning some cash. I know Luke and I had this agreement. If I want to stay with him I have to finish school, but I wonder if I even want to stay in this stupid town.

Everyone here hates me because of the few stunts I have pulled. It isn't big of a deal, I wasn't going after someone. Seems that Stars Hollow isn't New York at all, I haven't been arrested one time here.

Every half hour I check in with Madelaine, but even after nine she is still asleep. I can't but smile at that image. When I walk down the stairs again, Rory sits behind the counter, talking to Kirk.

'Hey', she says relieved and leans forward so I can kiss her. After one warning look, Kirk leaves us behind so we can talk. If Madelaine would come downstairs right now I have a problem. Not even to mention that she is wearing my sweater. This looks all so wrong.

'I was thinking, maybe tonight you could join Lane, Dave and I to the movies', Rory suggests. I smile sheepish at her, she know I'm not that kind of guy. I don't like going out, especially not with people I feel uncomfortable with.

That isn't their fault, it just never feels right. Madelaine would understand this ... I could honestly slap myself for thinking that. 'Rory, I'm not in the mood -'

'Ah please. Dave would like to meet you, it can be a double date', her eyes widen in excitement and I'm not sure how to tell her no.

'Fine, but if the movie sucks I'm out of there', I say and we both laugh. She takes my hands in hers ready to kiss me another time when I hear footsteps coming downstairs. Her gaze immediately goes to the staircase and there Madelaine is, wearing her own clothes.

Great.

The moment she sees Rory her attitude changes, I can still see the pain of last night, but she repairs herself quickly, putting her hands in her coat.

'I couldn't find the book you were talking about', Madelaine says confused. I keep quiet for a moment, slowly understanding what she's doing. Lying her ass off.

'I'll find it someday, upstairs is a mess', I say and laugh uneasy. She nods shortly before walking towards the door without saying another thing. Feeling like she had to escape. My thoughts run of to last night when her skin was cold and her clothes soaked.

Once reality hits me in the face, I see Rory looking down at the counter. Her hands not on mine anymore. 'She wanted to read -'

'She has been here all night?' Rory asks suspicious. I shake my head immediately, not wanting to tell her this truth. Nothing happened, she would never understand this.

'No, she came by earlier and asked me for a book', I lie. I'm a horrible person, honestly. 'Jess ... I have the feeling she still likes you. I mean, her best friend is acting in a Broadway musical now and she has no company. I'm worried she still might love you', Rory explains softly.

I take her hands again, forcing her to look me in the eyes. 'But I don't love her', I urge. At least the concerned look disappears from her face, but mine doesn't because once I say those words I realise it isn't only Maddy lying, it's me also.