Chapter 4: The Number

Jess and I walk out of school together, ignoring the questionable faces of our classmates.

'Is New York still amazing?' Jess asks sarcastically when I put my phone away. Making sure my mother won't call. 'I can handle some bullies', I reply honest but he has to make a joke out of it.

'Of course, why wouldn't you handle them if you are used to stand in a bright spotlight?', he mocks me and I softly push against his shoulder. I only know him for a few weeks, and still he is the most honest person I have ever met.

If I ignore the fights and sometimes black-eyes he is kind of interesting. Especially the books he reads. His eyes focused on the words as if his life depends on it. I love it.

'You aren't going home?' He asks when I sit down on a bench in the park we walk through. 'I can't, my mother thinks I'm in dance school. That takes an hour longer than other schools', I explain and he raises an eyebrow.

'So every day after school you are hiding?' I nod a little when a goofy smile appears on his face. 'She'll find out, watch my words'. We sit together for a moment, watching other students walk or bike past us, trying to hide their curiosity.

'Is it just me, or don't they like you very much?' I turn to Jess who immediately grimaces. 'I'm not quite loved here', he admits. 'Then what did you do?'

'A lot of things, we should sit here all day if I have to explain that'. 'I have time', I notice with a smile, totally irritating him. He sighs and waits a little as if he wants me to guess.

'You know, the normal stuff such as messing around, skipping class, stealing...' he says unsure. 'Stealing?' I widen my eyes a little. He had told me about that car of his teacher, but I thought that was it.

'Well not much, I did it a few times with my friends', he mumbles. 'Where are they? Your friends, I mean'.

'Probably somewhere on the street. I'd rather hang out with you, that doesn't bring me in much trouble', he smirks again, going through his messy hair with one hand. 'I'm a good influence', I notice jokingly and he nods in agreement.

'I'm glad I sat on those stairs that night', Jess remarks, his brown eyes narrowing mine. 'I'm glad I climbed out my window', I add and we both laugh for a moment.

'Do you care what these people think of you?', he asks after a while. I think about that, for some reasons I do, I am still building a career. But on the other hand I wil be a normal teenager soon enough.

'I shouldn't', is the most honest I can answer. Jess takes a book out of his bag, pointing it at me. 'I still have one of your books', I remind him but he gives it either way.

'I know, but I have to go and you still have about twenty minutes of waiting, so enjoy it', he says before standing up and with one last look over his shoulder, leaves me alone.

I open the book curious when a small paper falls out of it. I grab it right on time and when I turn it around I see a phone number.

'If you can't sleep one night, call me.' was written in his handwriting. I smile at the stupid tiny paper that makes my day a whole lot better.