"Do you like to dance, sir?" Elodie asked as a new song picked up and Jane and Mr. Bingley moved to go join the throng of partygoers. Might as well try to include the miserable man in something.

    Elizabeth took her leave when she heard her sister address the brooding man, most likely going to find Charlotte. Anything would be better than feeding off of his pessimistic aura.

"Not if I can help it." A stillness ensued. Elodie pressed her lips into a thin line, automatically knowing she would have to carry the conversation.

    "I assume that you strongly dislike local balls?" A small smirk appeared on her lips, her dimples making charismatic impressions in her cheeks. Mr. Darcy could not seem to meet her eyes. "I wonder what gave you that idea." He replied, blatant sarcasm weaved through his voice. It took everything in Elodie for her to not walk away in embarrassment. This wasn't going as swimmingly as she had wished for it to.

    "Yes," She drawled, the lighting glinting dangerously in the reflection of her stare. "Perhaps it is that unbecoming wrinkle between your brow that gave me a clue."

   Like a whip, Mr. Darcy turned towards her, his eyes ablaze as if she had just shot him. But before he could accuse her of issuing an improper response, Elizabeth hastily called her over. Charlotte Lucas waved happily at the sight of her other friend and motioned for her to join then.

    Elodie dipped into a brisk curtsy before leaving behind a breathless Mr. Darcy, her back burning as she felt his lingering stare. "I was about to suffocate over there! You two must be angels!" Elodie gasped as she buried her face into her sister's shoulder, the shame of giving such a critique on Mr. Darcy's face overwhelming her suddenly.

    Elizabeth and Charlotte burst out into a feverish laughter, rubbing her back and arm comfortingly. Oh, what a fuss her mother would make if she knew what her daughter had said! She was supposed to be the mature and cool-headed one as the second eldest should inherently be!

    "Come, I wish to sit down." The three girls spent the rest of the night in each other's company, catching up on things they could not express through letters or surprise coming upons in Meryton and sipping liquid courage from fine, glass cups.

The trio thought they had seen no more of Mr. Darcy, thankfully, until he neared them later on with Mr. Bingley, the girls' forms hidden away from the common sight in a corner of the ballroom. They exchanged wary glances with one another and took a swig from their cups. "I've never seen so many pretty girls in my life." Mr. Bingley chirped with a drunken smile upon his face.

    Mr. Darcy did not entertain his enthusiasm. "You were dancing with the only handsome girl in the room." Lizzie, Charlotte, and Elodie frowned at his comment.

Elodie felt her chest burn. Oh, how she would enjoy slapping at pompous man's face clean off. Thinking violently, she continued to listen in on their conversation even when Charlotte and Lizzie stopped.

"She is the most beautiful creature I've ever beheld. But her mother has plenty of other pretty daughters. The second eldest, Elodie, is no doubt agreeable as well."

"She is adequate. But she is far too opinionated with her words. Completely unbecoming of a woman."

Elodie's eyes fell to her dress and she studied the seams intently as her mind was alight with thoughts. Unbecoming? Adequate? No man, or woman for that matter, had ever used such words to describe her. She felt humiliated.