XVI

sixteen | 16.

PERCHANCE, BY FATE

PERCHANCE, BY FATE.

    "This is definitely what we needed." Elodie shielded the sun from Elizabeth's eyes with her hand, as they both lazily lay on the forest floor.

Elizabeth hummed in agreement as she relished in the warm sunlight, her brown dress fanned out from the sides and her bangs pushed to the sides.

    There was no squabbling from Mrs. Bennet, no arguing sisters, and there was certainly no mention of suitors; there was only peace. That was something Elodie could easily become accustomed to.

Sitting on a big tree root close to the rest of the group, Mr. and Mrs. Gardener peacefully cut some apples while their soft voices contributed to the calm ambiance.

They had stopped trying to share their thoughts with the footmen attempting to repair their carriage, which had sustained a damaged wheel during their journey, though the faces of the couple were still slightly pink from frustration.

"Elodie, thank you for convincing me to join you all. I would have regretted not coming without your encouragement." Mary walked over to her older sister with sliced apples in hand, offering her a few, after leaving Mrs. Gardiner's side.

Elodie took some and placed one into her mouth. Sweet juice leaked onto her tongue and she closed her eyes to savor the flavor.

    "It falls upon me as your elder sister to encourage you to step outside your comforts."

Mary chuckled softly and leaned against Elodie's shoulder, closing her eyes.

"Where exactly are we?" Elizabeth called out to her aunt and uncle, the former looking up from her slicing. "I believe we are quite close to Pemberly." Mrs. Gardner replied airily, failing to notice that Elodie's face had paled at the name.

    "Mr. Darcy's home?" His name danced on her lips like a ghost as she sat up straighter. She recalled the moment when Charlotte revealed the details about his lavish estate during the assembly hosted by her father several months ago.

    "Ah, that's the fellow. Very well-stocked lake." Mr. Gardner chewed sloppily through his apple. "I've got a hankering to see it."

    Elodie jumped up immediately, tossing Mary to the side. "No, please, we must not!" All eyes were fixed on her, with looks of bewilderment, except for Lizzy who understood her turmoil around the man.