II

two | 02.

A BEAUTY AND A BEAST

    To avoid another awkward moment, Elodie decided to bring up small talk to be polite

    To avoid another awkward moment, Elodie decided to bring up small talk to be polite. Nothing could go wrong with that. "I do hope that you are enjoying your visit to Hertfordshire and I hope you agree that it is a very delightful place."

    Mr. Bingley perked up as the words spilled abruptly from her lips and clasped his hands together behind his back, the fabric of his intricate blue coat rustling against his arms.

    "Yes, I like it very much!" Elodie beamed at his response, satisfied. "The library at Netherfield...I've heard it's one of the finest in the country." Elizabeth spoke with a glimmer of interest in her eyes, Elodie knowing just how much she enjoyed reading. Elizabeth was like her in that way.

    It served as a rather peaceful distraction from their enthusiastic family who had a particular flair for causing a ruckus.

"Yes, it fills me with guilt. I'm not a very good reader, you see. I prefer being out of doors." Elodie was astonished at his reply. A man as affluent as him should certainly have no trouble with reading as he must've gotten a good education, though Elodie agreed that being out of doors was a very good pastime for one who preferred athletics. Jane gave a hesitant laugh, capturing Mr. Bingley's attention.

"I mean, I can read, of course." He stumbled over his words as he stared at Jane, a desperate look surfacing. "And I'm certainly not suggesting you can't read out of doors..." Elodie held her hand up to her mouth to hide a snicker, Elizabeth's clamped mouth suggested she was doing the same.

    As Jane and Mr. Bingley continued to converse, Elodie allowed herself to regard Mr. Darcy once more, whose blue eyes were scanning the room with a dull glaze. He seemed very bored.