I

one | 01.

THE YELLOW DRESS

THE YELLOW DRESS.

    "ELODIE Bennet! Come here at once!" The Bennet household was filled with a buzz of electricity on a rather lackadaisical spring afternoon, a day where the rabbits dashed through the brush, and the birds chirped in the shrubbery where they buil...

    "ELODIE Bennet! Come here at once!" The Bennet household was filled with a buzz of electricity on a rather lackadaisical spring afternoon, a day where the rabbits dashed through the brush, and the birds chirped in the shrubbery where they built their nests. Something was different about that afternoon, something in the buzz of air that overtook the home in a great wave.

Elodie Bennet, sprawled along her freshly washed linens, flicked her golden-blonde hair away from her eyes and turned her head in the direction of her mother's urgent tone, which seemed to be coming from the parlor downstairs.

   Her fingers puttered slightly with the worn pages of the book she had been indulging herself with, deliberating whether to pretend she didn't hear Mrs. Bennett or to go easily like she perpetually would. But with that urgency strewn so cleanly through her call, Elodie knew she shouldn't mess around with her mother this time.

A maid scurried past her as she went down the hall, quick as lightning with quite an overwhelmed look upon her wrinkled face, a bundle of clothing piled upon her strong arms.

The Bennet house was quaint and homely, with nice paintings and antiques that had been graciously passed down through the generations by their ancestors. None of them were worth much though, just things to fill in the blank spaces of their home.

Elodie made her way into the parlor, a curious glint forming in her eye when she came upon her other five sisters: Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty, and Lydia. Each seemed to be brimming with excitement as they sat upon the couch.

    "What have I missed?" Elodie mused as she sat beside Mary, the rather boorish and dull Bennet daughter who enjoyed nothing more than keeping to her pianoforte and ignoring the outside world.

Although Mary was rather aloof, she was fond of her older sister who was the one who taught her how to play the piano and so she offered a small smile when she heard her enter the room, which the older girl reciprocated. Lydia, the youngest of the two Bennet's— and a great handful— jumped in her seat and smiled cheerfully.