Chapter 7

Neither Domino not I mentioned the state of his arm to anyone. But over the next few days it started to get noticeable. We ignored the way he stopped carrying things, the five skivis he bought. Nobody noticed but me and Belle.

"That's it, I'm going out." I shouted, leaping to my feet. Starling poked his head out from under the bed where he and Max were forced to sleep. He ran a hand through his scruffy hair and stared at me.

"Look, I think there is a war. I want to find out who is in it and what's happening." I said impatiently. My eyes wandered to Domino, who was at the sink again. I looked back before the others could follow my gaze.

"Who's coming on a highly dangerous-"
"Highly fun-" Alistair said, raising his hand.
"Death defying-" Kim cried, high fiving Alistair.
"Freaking crazy adventure!" Max cried punching the air. I grinned, but looked over their shoulders at Belle, Starling and Domino. They noticed me staring.

"I- I can't." Belle murmured. Starling shook his head, looking down at the ground. Domino made out that he had too much to do. But his arm was red.

Later, Alistair, Kim, Max and I were asking questions to random people, and being confused as they hurried away or ran away screaming. Eventually I sent the others home so I could investigate alone.

Newspapers, TV, hairdressers, I managed to get some information. As the air turned cold and snow started drifting to the ground, I wrapped a scarf around my neck and started heading home.

It was warm and bright inside the room. I shut the window as snow blew into the carpet, and turned to face my pack who were staring at me.

"There is a war. Rogues against humans over Aurora. She escaped them and us roaming the wild, but the war is happening." I explained breathlessly. The pack had reactions of horror and Max grinned like he was up for a fight, but it was our rogues who scared me.

Kim and Alistair stood up together. Their eyes were glazed over as they walked to the door. I quickly shut it, waving my hand in front of their faces.

"Where do you think you're going?" I asked. "I just told you all the wolves and humans in Nightingale are in the middle of a war and you want to go out?"

Alistair shook his head and his eyes became clear again. He started walking backwards, dragging Kim by her hand. Then his eyes were cloudy once more.

"They need our help. You may not care but we will not stand back and let innocent rogues be killed over a silver." Kim said. Her voice was flat like a robots'. I shuddered as they walked out the door and down the stairs.

Humans streamed out the door. Five seconds later, two wolves burst out of the foyer and howled. They took off into the night.

"Crap." Belle muttered, summing up our thoughts.