Chapter 6

My dreams were haunted, often with Bliss and Aurora. I would wake with tears on my face and Domino holding me close. But no matter how bad it was for me, it was worse for Belle.

Starling mourned his girlfriend in silence. His pain affected those closest to him, which would be Max, his best friend. The two of them suffered in silence, making it easier for each other. But Belle.... she was scarred for life.

Often when I woke, she would be twitching on the ground beside me, her mouth open and tears streaming out of her eyes. She would curl up inside herself and scream for hours on end. She told me that the pain was even worse then mine when Domino was shot.

My pack was falling apart around me. I reached out behind me to touch Domino's shoulder with my fingertips. He smiled, his lips parted slightly. He seemed to know exactly what I was thinking about. We both looked over at Belle, who was flat on her back, staring at the sky with tears in her eyes.

"Hey, Bella baby, don't cry." I whispered, rolling over to her. She curled up and rested her head on my collar bone, soaking my shirt with her tears. I held her close, and instinctively also reached out on my other side for Bliss.

It had been three days and we had not moved from this beach. But frankly, I was getting sick of it. As the sun rose above the sea I got to my feet. I was entirely crusted with sand.

"Alright guys, get up get moving." I barked, masking my frustration in optimism. The others lifted their heads, hope and confusion on every face. "Each of us are filthy. We need hot showers, good food and beds."

We rinsed off in the ocean as best as we could and started trudging into civilisation. People gave us funny looks as we passed, but none of us cared.

"Max take this," I said, passing him a fifty dollar note, "and get some food."

Max hurried away and I turned into a small building. It seemed to be a hotel of sorts. The ground was covered in lush carpet and velvet chairs were scattered everywhere. Way too expensive probably. But we had been raised unbothered by the concept of money.

The receptionist was typing on her computer. I flashed the car key at her and she nodded without looking up. Probably thought the key was for a hotel room.

Starling and Belle stomped up the shmancy gold rimmed stairs. Domino, still cradling his bandaged arm, followed close behind. After making sure they were meant to follow, Kim and Alistair followed. They knew exactly where to go, as this wasn't the first time we had faked a hotel ID.

I waited in the foyer for Max. He came in, his ears still sliding down the sides of his head. He had gone wolf to follow our scent. In his arms were five bags of McDonalds and chocolate.

"I'm going shopping next time." I declared after sifting through his hoard. He scuffed one boot in the dirt and chased after me as I bounded up the stairs. This was harder than first intended, carrying five bags of food.

The pack were in the top most abandoned room. It was in pretty good condition, usually the rooms had rats or roaches. But this one was absolutely livable, except for some blood on the bed. But whatever.

Kim was already coming out of the shower. She was wrapped in a fluffy white towel and looked happier than she had in days. Alistair went over to hug her.

"I thought mud brown and red were your skin colour." he teased quietly. Kim reached around the door for another towel and smothered his face with it.

I turned away from them to Domino, who was in the other bathroom. He was shirtless, his back was to me and he was examining something on the sink. I tentatively put the bags on the kitchen bench and crept over.

"Oh, hi June." he said quickly, throwing a towel over his arm. My eyes narrowed and I wrenched it away. The towel fell from my hands and hit the floor in a heap. Domino put his hand on his cut defensively.

"Belle needs you. She won't get off the bed." he said, pushing me away. This was true, but I couldn't leave Domino now. I touched his arm lightly and he showed my the wound.

It was a dark red colour, with horrible white-yellow spots. The surrounding skin was black and it was pussing. I let out a strangled cry and stepped back. Maybe Kim hadn't gotten all the poison out after all.

Domino put his shirt back on and but his lip, looking at the the ground. I backed away and sat on the bed, putting my arms around Belle and Starling, staring at my boyfriend as he wound bandages around his arm.

"We're losing him too." Belle whispered matter of factly. I put my head on her shoulder and cried.