"We're doing the best we can," I reply.

"We are." She smiles. "I only wish Jace, Claudia and Ray could have done it with us."

"Me too," I admit, Jace's desperate pleading face entering my mind. He begged me to keep Kayla safe, his last damn request, and yet here I am about to leave her in the pit of snakes. I'm such a fucking dick. "Kay, maybe you should come-"

"Don't go soft on me now, Hastings!" she cuts me off, reaching over and shoving my shoulder. "I'll be fine, trust me!"

"But-"

"You just worry about Emilia."

"Emilia?"

"Promise me that you'll keep her safe?" Kayla asks quietly. I let my eyes scan back towards the group. Riley is helping Heidi back into the truck as Emilia talks to Kieran. She looks worried, her eyebrow furrowed as he points to something in his backpack. "I know you're in love with her."

"What?" I exclaim, head snapping back to Kayla as she watches me.

"Just promise me?"

"I'll protect her," I assure Kayla, nodding as she smiles. I'll protect Emilia with my life.

*~*~*

Turning the truck off once more, I take a deep breath before glancing across at Jordan, his gaze meeting mine at the same time.

"I guess this is it," I mutter and he nods.

"I guess it is."

"For Claudia?" I say and he grins.

"For Claudia," Jordan confirms, grabbing his door and stepping out of the truck. I do the same, the others all piling out, all eyes on Kieran as he dives into his backpack for something.

"The watchtower is only five minutes South of here," I advise. Riley nods as he yanks a map out of his back pocket.

"I can lead us?" he suggests and I agree, wanting some time to sort everything out with my girl. We can't go into this angry at each other. She needs to know that I didn't mean a single word of what I said, my fucking pride and anger taking over any rational fucking thoughts. I acted like a dick and she didn't deserve it.

"Let's go." I gesture and Riley nods, hooking his rucksack on his back. Anna holds the torch for him as they disappear into the thick vegetation. Kieran and Jordan quickly follow, Emilia close behind before I can say a word, her head dipped low as she vanishes from sight.

Cursing, I take a step after her, Sam stepping in front of me and stopping me from going any further.

"Can I help you?" I snap.

"I want to walk with you for a second," he requests as his wife runs after Emilia. Tensing my jaw, I debate my options before eventually giving in, knowing that Emilia wants me to be civil with her Special Sam.

"Fine," I mutter, both of us dipping under the trees as I turn the torch on. I'm wary of the tree roots as we go, being sure to point them out to him along the way. The last thing I need is him fucking breaking his leg or something.

"I want to talk to you about Emilia."

"Why?"

"I know you had an argument," he replies. "She's really upset about it."

"How is this any of your business?" I grimace, not happy with where this conversation is heading.

"Because she's my best friend."

"Are you sure about that?" I scoff.

"What?"

"You like her more than a friend. Don't try to fool me."