Chapter 22

"Emilia?" Claudia asks as I stare across the room at the silly little houseplant that Heidi bought for me

"Emilia?" Claudia asks as I stare across the room at the silly little houseplant that Heidi bought for me. I've been numb ever since I saw Zac and Kayla being dragged away, Sam and Jordan quickly picking me off of the floor and bringing me home.

Without Zac.

"You should eat something," Claudia says softly, holding a packet of biscuits in front of me. I let my gaze flit over the brown packet before reaching up and grabbing it, unable to push Zac from my mind. This is all he ever eats ninety percent of the time he's here. I barely ever even get two biscuits from the entire packet.

"I should save these for when Zac comes home," I reply, my voice hoarse.

"I..." Claudia trails off as I continue to stare at the packet. "I don't think he'll be back tonight."

"He might be," I argue, my head shooting up, gaze instantly falling onto the sympathetic faces of Jordan, Heidi, Rayden and Sam.

"Mils..." Heidi steps forward but I shake my head, shoving the biscuits back into Claudia's hands and standing up.

"Can you get Zac to wake me when he returns?" I say softly, Heidi opening her mouth to say something before Sam pulls her back.

Tearing my eyes away from their pitiful expressions, I walk over to the stairs and haul myself up them, shutting the door to the bedroom and pulling my pyjamas on, sliding under the covers and staring at the dim glow falling in the window from the slowly setting sun.

Only thirteen hours earlier Zac was worshipping my body, pleasuring me in ways I've never experienced before, not having another care in the world.

I didn't see this coming, I never thought someone would report Kayla and Zac for their mistakes that they made nearly four weeks ago. They aren't the only ones to act out, or kiss someone who they weren't supposed to, and yet they've been caught. Who could have done this?

What happens now? The unmarried are kept separate from the married sector of society, and I therefore have no idea how severe the punishments get, or even if the disobedient spouse is allowed to come home again. I have no idea how Mrs Germain's mind works, hell, before all this shit went down I didn't even think she understood enough to teach me physics, her explanations always deadly boring.

I'm scared for Zac, my mind unable to stop playing images of him being tortured on a constant loop.

I want nothing more than for him to walk into the bedroom now, take one look at my tear soaked face, and take me into his arms, reassuring me that everything is going to be okay.

He'll be back. They have to let him go, surely?

Maybe he'll spend a few hours in the Cell, back by sunrise to take me in his arms and trail his mouth down my neck, waking me up and allowing me to show him just what he's been missing out on for twenty four hours. That'll be great.