Chapter 3

It takes me twenty minutes to pack up my belongings, and half of that time I spend downing the remainder of a bottle of vodka I got from Rayden

It takes me twenty minutes to pack up my belongings, and half of that time I spend downing the remainder of a bottle of vodka I got from Rayden. I sit on the window ledge as I drink, watching the other girls come and go, giggling and laughing with each other. Most people stay out after the Ceremony, the ones who are chosen spend it with their new partners, the ones who haven't been sold off like cattle spend the time celebrating with their fellow singletons or going back home with their family.

Last year Sam and I stayed out until three in the morning drinking and laughing as we ran along the old train tracks in Nottingham station. Afterwards he'd gone back to the Boys' communal house and I soon followed, sneaking into Rayden's room and waking him up by placing my mouth around him. Hey, I was drunk!

I wish I could do the same again this year. With a grimace, I finish off the bottle and chuck it at the bin, watching as it misses and hits the wall before falling flat onto the ground. I scoff, making no move to clear it up - it's not like I live here anymore.

I should leave before Sam and Heidi arrive to pick her stuff up. I don't feel like seeing or talking to anyone right now, especially my best friends. Lying to their face once more about how okay I am just doesn't sit well with me.

Grabbing onto my backpack I chuck it over my shoulder before grabbing my other bag of stuff and walking to the door. Pulling it open I hesitate, glancing back at the room that's been my home for the last three years. Two single beds line the walls, one now bare, the other still covered in its pink blankets. A picture of Heidi and I stands pride of place on the chest of drawers between the beds, a lump forming in my throat at the sight. I'll leave the picture for her.

Without another thought, I turn and leave, unwilling to let myself become overwhelmed with any kind of emotional sentiment. This period of my life is over, and the faster I realise that, the easier it'll be.

I'll miss Heidi, I have no idea how much it will all change now that we're separated. Plus, let's not forget that she's going to be fucking my best friend.

I don't say a word to any of the other girls as I make my way down the corridor towards the stairs.

Judging by my actions these days you would never guess that I used to be popular, that my Instagram used to have hundreds of likes. As soon as those bombs fell it all meant nothing, my popularity didn't save me from death or this shitty partnership. So why should I bother making effort with anyone?

I turn left as soon as I leave the house, setting off towards the East side of town. It's the main area that they've attempted to rebuild, a scattering of terraced houses now repaired, set aside to provide homes for their attempt at happy families.

Unsurprisingly it's the area where most crime occurs.

Domestic violence? Triple the number of cases when you stuff people who don't know each other into a tiny, cramped house.