Chapter 12: Without You

By the time I get home I am completely drenched from the rain and exhausted. I never liked running, but I just had to get out of there. I can’t believe Brett kept something like that from me. Well, it is a big deal and something that shouldn’t be told to everyone. The worst part of it all is that he didn’t even give me time to process it. Girls like me are like mirrors, we’re always used and taken for granted. Only a small amount of people really see everything we do, but they never stay long enough. By the time the ones we’ve been loyal to have the courage to tell us they value us, we’re already gone. Replaced by another because after all, no one wants a broken mirror. My sneakers squeak and slosh as I walk up the pathway to my front door. I had no energy to go inside and cry myself to sleep, so I just sat on the steps leading to the door and pulled my knees to my chest. I can’t even tell the difference between tears and rain anymore.

“Chloe? What are you doing out here in the rain babe?” Selena says upon opening the door and seeing me. 

“B-B-Brett” is all I muster out.

“Brett? I swear, I will make him wish he never hurt you” she says while cracking her knuckles. “Come inside so we can get you in clean clothes. You can tell me all about what this idiot did over some hot cocoa.” 

“Ok” I say with no emotion. I slowly get up and motion to her that I want a piggyback ride. She sighs.

“You’re lucky I love you” she says after rolling her eyes. I hop on and we go inside. When we get to our room, she drops me on my bed and hands me a towel then grabs fuzzy pj pants and a t-shirt for me.

“You ready to tell me what’s going on boo?” Selena asks me.

“Yeah, but you gotta promise not to tell anyone. I know you would never tell a soul any of my secrets if I told you not to tell anyone, but this one is really big and not mine to tell in the first place. I just had to talk to someone.”

“Ok, I’m here for you chica. Gimme the tea.” 

And so I tell her all about what happened, careful not to leave a single detail out. She gasped at multiple parts and at other times, I feared her eyes would pop out of her head because of how wide they were.

“Wow, that’s a lot to take in. He didn’t even let you process?”

“Nope. If I hadn’t left, he probably would have made me leave.”

“Geez.”

She comes over and gives me a hug. I needed that after everything that happened. As soon as we let go, boyfriend by big time rush starts playing from my phone. I walk over to the nightstand where it was laying and see that Brett was calling me. Selena saw and quickly grabbed the phone from me.

“Nuh uh uh, I’m gonna keep this for the day missy. If you answer that phone he might tell you more crap that’ll make you feel worse about yourself.”

“But what if he wants to apologise and talk things out?”

“If he wants to talk he can come here and talk in person. We aren’t doing this over the phone.”

“Ok, I guess you have a point there.”

“I always do. Let me know if you need anything.”

“Ok, I will.”

Selena then went back to sleep. I tried going back to sleep, seeing as it was now five in the morning, but I couldn’t. Everytime I closed my eyes I saw Brett yelling at me after his transformation. It wasn’t him that I was scared of, It was the tone in his voice. He had never yelled at me before and I didn’t like it. It reminded me of the mysterious scary voice from my nightmares. I tried to stop thinking about it, but the more I tried the worse it got. Eventually I started crying and let everything out, again. The tears kept streaming down my face like a powerful waterfall, continuous and heavy. And then I fell asleep, thinking about a boy who probably no longer thinks of me.