Chapter 10: Sunburn Isn't Fun

A couple months passed by since Brett and I made it official and we were going strong. We had already been on dozens of dates with, and without, Selena. He even met my mom who obviously loved him. My mom is a travel agent so she isn’t home much but we arranged a weekend that she would be home so she could meet him. I start getting ready for school by hopping in the shower quickly since Selena already left. When I come out, I see an incoming facetime call from Brett. I accept the call he comes into view while I’m leaning over the camera in my towel propping my phone up.

“Ooh, I like the view” he says with a smirk.

“Shut up”

“And dance with me!”

“Weirdo” I say as I roll my eyes and shake my head.

“A weirdo that you love.”

“True, now give me a second. I need to put my clothes on” I say as I put my phone face down on my bedside table.

“Aw, I don’t get a show?”

“No you creep! Keep dreaming.”

“Baby you’re always in my dreams.”

“Aww! Ok, I’m done you can look now” I say as I prop the phone back up. I decided to wear a pink flowy flower print dress that had a tie in the front, ballet flats, and did my hair half up with a black ribbon tied in it (not a Jojo Siwa style bow).

“You are so beautiful, princess.”

“Thank you” I say with a giggle. Brett then hangs up because he had to drive. Minutes later, he’s parked outside my house and opens the door to his car for me so we can go to school together. We get in the school and he kisses my temple and tells me he’ll see me at lunch before we part ways. Lunch was the only time we saw each other in school other than chemistry class which was at the end of the day. I go about my day attending all my boring classes and listening to teachers drone on and on with lectures. I am usually an adamant listener, but today was such a drag. There wasn’t anything exciting to learn, even in my favorite classes. Three periods had already passed and I was waiting in anticipation for the bell to make that heavenly sound and answer my call for help by allowing me my basic need for survival, food. Ring! Hallelujah, my prayers have been answered. I bolt out of the classroom seconds after the bell rings and head for my locker to put my books away. When I get there, I’m saddened to see that Brett isn’t there waiting for me like he usually is. Huh, that’s weird. My locker is right next to the cafeteria, where on earth is my buffoon. 

Chloe: Babe where are you? Why aren’t you at my locker?

My Knight💕: I didn’t feel like waiting. You take forever anyway, I’m already in the cafeteria

Excuse me! I do not take hours, I literally look forward to meeting up with him. He knows this too! I grab my lunch from my locker and angrily march my five foot two self into the cafeteria in a hurry to hunt down my man. I didn't find him, even after searching the whole cafeteria so I sat down at the table that Selena, Damien, Brett, and I sat at. Damien was Selena’s boyfriend. They got together not long after Brett and I did. When I got there, Selena was sitting on Damien’s lap and they were sharing grapes. 

“Hey bestie, can you help me kill someone?” I ask Selena. 

“Sure but it depends on who it is”