24. All Hallows Eve

The temperature seemed to cool as the doors of the main entrance closed, breath a mere degree from visibility as the four teens ventured inward. Hamish, Christine, Miranda and James stepped cautiously into the main corridor, each uncertain of what may come, but none more anxious and determined than the Rhoads boy. He had spotted his father standing just within the door, and no amount of protest or persuasive doubt was going to convince him otherwise.

    Music pumped and pounded from the gymnasium around the corner, mixed with the many conversations taking place all around them. Every student was in costume, the Halloween dance in full swing as the foursome found themselves fashionably late. As they moved fearlessly into the crowded halls, a sense of dread seemed to grow as the air turned frigid, the atmosphere all the more grim the deeper into the camaraderie they ventured.

    Just as he looked back, Hamish's heart skipped a beat as several students stood before the front doors like sentinels, trapping them within, their eyes black as midnight and gaze as cold as the air in his lungs. Every voice fell silent, leaving only the pounding sound of Rob Zombie's "Dragula" muffled from the gymnasium walls ahead.

    'I think you may have been on to something, Miranda.' he felt his heart pound all the more fierce, three of them turning to see the crowd trap them within the halls, while one ignored the strange anomaly completely, far too distracted with the prospect of locating his missing father.

    James pushed his way through the students, determined to catch up with who he was positive was Jason Rhoads, not risen from the dead, but never deceased in the first place. Miranda trailed behind him as not a gleeful face could be seen—not one conversation amongst the countless students who crowded the halls. Scurrying around the corner, the four friends met up just before the gymnasium, where the Halloween dance was in full swing.

    'Okay, he must have gone this way. I don't know why he'd be attending a school dance, but—'

    'James.' Hamish grabbed his arm, speaking loudly over the heavy pounding drums pumping from the speakers at the front of the gym. 'I think Miranda was right, dude. When we entered the school they sealed off the entrance blocking us in. We should leave if we still can—'

    'Who's blocking the entrance?'

    'The fucking Spice Girls, James; who do you think? The Black-eyed Kids, mate.' he spoke the name aloud.

    Miranda hung her head, confirming it was a foolish idea to come that evening; every instinct had protested, and now it appeared they were trapped like rats in a maze.

    'Look, your dad's a cop, he can handle himself.' Hamish reasoned. 'I say we get the fuck on out of here—'

    'There you are!' said a familiar voice. 'My star pupils have grazed us with their presence, and in full costumes, no less. Ms. Hutchinson, I'm most pleased to see you join the festivities. I've never seen you at one of these events before.'

    'Yeah, and I'm pleased as shit to be here too, Mr. Dixon.' Miranda's sarcasm was made obvious as she noted his lizard costume, what appeared to be a cheap knock-off Godzilla. Her worried gaze roamed about, fearful that a dead-eyed child would step forth and kill at any given moment.

    'Well, I'm ecstatic either way.' he beamed, noting her distracted and wandering gaze. 'I received your last six assignments, and have marked all but one above the ninetieth percentile thus far. I'm not sure what's gotten into you, young lady, but I am most impressed—'

    'Mr. Dixon, my father didn't volunteer to be a chaperone for this event, did he?' James asked, hoping to get a straight answer.

    'Jason Rhoads? I'm afraid I haven't seen him. I was told he moved away, if I'm not mistaken. If he's here tonight, it's news to me.'