Chapter 12: Utter Confusion

Hey guys! Wrote this chapter all yesterday. Didn't exactly plan on the end to be like it was, but hey. I know I think better like that too, so I figured it might help poor Arty too. And I hope you all enjoy. From here on out, this story is about to get pretty serious. No more fun and games. It's about to get ugly in the next chapter. That much I promise. Anyhow... here's chapter 12! =)

**************************************************************************

Artemis shut his bedroom door, locking the door behind him. He immediately began shrugging his jacket off, hoping it would help him stop sweating like he was. He collapsed backwards onto the bed, doing all he could to catch his breath. For whatever reason, the confusion that was coursing through him was causing him far more distress than it ever should.

He had just arrived home from the dinner he had with Diana. The whole course of events that happened was still fresh in his mind, and he was admittedly in disbelief. He for all intents and purposes had called her beautiful. It was the truth, no doubt, but Artemis had never intended to say it. Especially not out loud. Artemis wasn't sure what saying it meant. Was he just acknowledging that Diana was beautiful? Or was he saying that he thought she was? Or even that he found her attractive enough to consider a relationship with her? Artemis hadn't been this confused about a girl in his entire life, even more so than the whole Minerva thing a few years back.

Artemis ran a hand across his forehead, pushing some of his hair back in the process. He was going to drive himself crazy if he didn't just forget about the whole thing, not that he wasn't already legally insane anyways. He closed his eyes, trying to make himself to calm down. It wasn't even that big of a deal, really. Artemis didn't know why all of a sudden he was making a mountain out of a molehill. It wasn't like him; but at the same time it wasn't like him to call a girl pretty.

Because you're not yourself right now, a voice in the back of his head told him. You've been letting this girl intrude on your every thought, her name and face always present everywhere you go, everything you do. She's taking control over your life little by little, making you forget who you are, what your purpose is. You can't let her do this anymore Artemis.

But part of Artemis didn't want to remove Diana from his thoughts. Even though he had just met the girl, he had felt a connection with her. She wasn't like the rest of them; most girls Artemis had seen in recent times were more concerned about gossiping and the like, and Diana hadn't brought up anything like that. Yes, she had relationship drama, but Artemis was nearly certain every relationship had its drama.

Like right now for example, another voice in his head hissed. You probably just confused her by saying that in the first place. The girl just got out of a two year relationship. Smart move, Fowl. Telling her that she's beautiful? The last thing Diana needs is you mucking up her thoughts.

Artemis sighed, trying to get the voices inside his head to shut up. They were just going to keep battling each other until one gave up, and he was not in the mood to be fighting with his own brain. He had spent enough time his life fighting with himself, and Artemis was not going to add to it right now. What happened had happened, and that was the end of it. So he slipped up and said something embarrassing and confusing? Artemis would just have to get over it, and that's exactly what he planned on doing.

He sat up once again, just in time to feel his phone go off in his pocket. Artemis reached into his pocket, pulling his cell phone from his pocket and answering it in one swift motion. "Hello?"

"Well good evening, Mud Boy," Holly's voice teased him from the other line. "What's going on? You're not busy are you?"

"Of course not. Am I ever busy, Holly?" Artemis sighed, hoping that she didn't already know about the dinner with Diana. The last thing he wanted right now was Holly ridiculing him.