Chapter 27: Living Proof

Hello everyone! Figured I would post something in here since this is the only story of mine I don't have writer's block on right now. >.< So, for any of you who read either Chasing Dreams or All I Need as well and have an idea, let me know, mmkay? Definitely open for suggestions at this point. Anyhow! I hope you all enjoy this chapter. It was... interesting to write. :)

*****************************************************************

            Holly sat at the desk in the conference hall, waiting for Trouble to discuss something with her and Foaly. Admittedly, she had no idea as to what was so important that Trouble was interrupting her daily duties to discuss. Holly spun in her chair, growing increasingly bored with waiting for the commander and technological expert. Unfortunately for her, that was when Trouble walked into the room, Foaly following closely behind.

            "Now is not the time for shenanigans, Captain," Trouble scolded, taking a seat across from her. "We have important matters to discuss."

            Holly sighed, watching Foaly somewhat lying down, placing his arms at the perfect level for the table. It was always so awkward watching Foaly struggle with the common everyday things Holly could do. It was moments like that Holly was grateful she was an elf. "And what is more important than my patrol?" she asked, slightly annoyed.

            "Apparently Artemis doesn't agree with my decision to wipe Diana's memories," Trouble scoffed.

             "Well of course he doesn't," Foaly retorted. "It's quite obvious he doesn't want that outcome. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out."

            Trouble raised an eyebrow at the centaur's remark. "And what makes you say that?"

            Holly sighed again. She swore Trouble was mentally slow some days. Was it really that difficult for him to comprehend what was going on with Artemis? "Seriously, Commander. It's not that difficult to figure out," she added. "A troll could see why Artemis doesn't want Diana's memories erased."

            "Are you calling me stupid, Captain?" Trouble questioned.

            Holly bit her tongue for a moment, knowing she had to plan her next words carefully. "I'm not saying you're stupid. I would just say your decisions on this situation are... irrational at best."

            When Foaly nodded in agreement, Trouble frowned. "Then what would you suggest I do?" he asked.

            "To be honest with you Trouble," Foaly started, clearing his throat, "I wouldn't go through with the mind wipe. It's a waste of time, energy, and money."

            "How so?" the elf went on, determined to get his way.

            "Well, it's simple, really," Foaly explained. "Even if we do the mind wipe, Artemis probably has some kind of tomfoolery planned to retrigger her memories. With that being the case, we would be wasting valuable time, energy, and funding on something that would be reversed possibly in the matter of seconds."

            "We don't know that Fowl has anything planned; you're just assuming," Trouble stated. "As far as you know, the boy could be bluffing."

            Foaly snickered, a sign that he was almost certainly on Holly's side. "He was prepared last time when his mind was wiped. Why would now be any different?"

            "He doesn't have time to come up with a trigger for Diana to remember anything," Trouble insisted.

            "Hypothetically, wouldn't just seeing Artemis again be enough to trigger a recall?" Holly brought up.