Chapter 21: Doubts

Hi everyone! Sorry once again for the delay. Been busy the past few days. Just to fill you all in briefly (in case you didn't already know), I found my wedding dress on Sunday, Monday I had to have my 19 year old cat put down, and today I finally got a job. So it's been a topsy turvy week, and I'm ready for my week long vacation in two weeks. Anyhow, with that job my time for writing will be cut shorter, so please be patient with me and my uploads. I hope you enjoy this chapter and it's 3 short POV changes. =P

***********************************************************************

The Chicago skyline was lit up just like it was any other night. However, as Jon Spiro stared out over the city from his desk, he knew better. This was no ordinary night. This was the night all of his plan would come together. It was only a matter of time before Artemis showed up with the C Cube. Victory was so close, Spiro could almost taste it. This time, Artemis wasn't getting out of here so easy, at least not before giving Spiro what he wanted- if not more.

He glanced away from the window, instead taking a glimpse of the monitor on Diana's cell. The girl hadn't moved since she had gotten off the phone with Artemis. He wasn't quite sure what was said between the two of them, but whatever it was surely didn't get her hopes up. Spiro smirked. It made him glad to see her so depressed. Someone needed to know what it felt like to be defeated, to be humiliated. Even though Diana had nothing to do with the problems Spiro had had with Artemis, he knew somehow that Artemis was probably feeling rather foolish as well. The businessman snickered to himself. Everything was working in his favor for once.

Spiro turned away from the monitor, somewhat spinning in his chair so he could face his bodyguard who sat quietly on the other side of the room. "Isn't this just wonderful, Arno?" Spiro questioned, almost gleefully.

The large muscular man raised an eyebrow to his employer. "If you consider everything, I suppose so."

"You suppose?" Spiro hissed. "What could be better than getting revenge? Especially on someone like Fowl?" He paused for a moment before adding, "You can't possibly tell me that you're not looking forward to getting even with Butler." Spiro was sure that was going to set off a fire inside Arno. He remembered how Artemis' more professional and inconspicuous bodyguard had gotten the better of Arno on their last meeting.

"Butler," Arno spat, running one of his hands through his now much shorter hair. "He doesn't stand a chance this time. I promise you that."

"And as for Arty?" Spiro raised a questioning eyebrow at Arno.

Arno Blunt smirked, showing off one of his most recent sets of replacement teeth. He had several different sets made after he had all of his teeth shattered during a sonic blast during the last encounter with Artemis Fowl. "He'll get what's coming for him. And his little girlfriend too."

Spiro frowned slightly. "Now, now Arno. We mustn't lose our temper with Diana," he cautioned. "At least not until we have what we want from Fowl."

Arno rolled his eyes. "Well if that's the case, he should hurry up. Her lip is starting to annoy me."

That got Spiro curious. He hadn't exactly seen Diana say anything terribly smart since she had been there. What could she have possibly said to Arno that would make him so irritated with her? "Did she say something?" he inquired.

"Just that she hates her room, her bed, and the food," Arno muttered. "She should be lucky she has that much. In prison they don't give you half of that."

"Depends on where you go to prison, Arno," Spiro reminded. "Remember... most prisoners have it better than a lot of others in this country."