Chapter 32: Meeting the Fowls

Hey everyone! Once again, sorry for the huge delay in uploads... I got busy the past few weeks in preparing to go back to class next week. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this, and I hope once class starts up again on September 4th, that I'm able to get a normal schedule again for updating!

***********************************************************************

            Artemis paced the foyer of his uncle's manor. Dinner would be done at any minute and Diana hadn't arrived yet. He was growing anxious; so far nothing was going according to plan. Tonight was the night he was finally going to introduce Diana to his family. Artemis figured that the sooner he could introduce the girl, the better. However, her tardiness was only adding to his nervousness about the ordeal.

            "I'm beginning to wonder if your friend is imaginary, Artemis," a female voice said from behind him.

            The Irish male turned on his heel to find Minerva leaning against the arm of a nearby couch. Admittedly the boy had forgotten she hadn't left to France yet. Artemis resisted the urge to roll his eyes at her remark, and instead said, "Diana isn't imaginary; I assure you."

            Minerva smirked, glad she had gotten under Artemis' skin so easily. "I was just jesting. No need to get defensive."

            Before Artemis had a chance to reply, he noticed a car pull into the driveway out of the corner of his eye. The boy abandoned his friend, immediately stepping outside onto the porch. He waited for a few moments before the girl stepping out of the car arrived on the porch. Diana, the girl in question, had really surprised him; she had dressed up for the occasion.

            Diana smiled slightly before she spoke, "Sorry I'm late. We had a bit of car trouble. The upper radiator hose decided it was going to leak, so my dad had to fix it real quick."

            Artemis nodded, accepting her apology. "You didn't miss anything, so no worries. Dinner should be soon enough."

            The girl's smile grew as Artemis led her into the manor. Diana stood silently glancing around the foyer for a few moments as Artemis shut the door behind them. Artemis was glad to see Minerva was no longer standing there, and turned to face Diana.

            "Are you ready to meet the family?" he asked, taking a deep breath.

            Diana glanced at her feet for a moment before looking back at him. "As ready as I'll ever be."

            Artemis smiled, nervously taking Diana's hand, leading her through the hallways to the dining room. He was hoping he had beaten the rest of the family to the table, but Artemis should've known he wasn't that lucky. Everyone else had been sitting around the table, of course all staring at the two of them as they walked in.

            "So this must be Diana?" Artemis Senior announced from the end of the table.

            "Yes," Artemis answered. He looked to Diana before he introduced her to them all. "This is Diana, my girlfriend." He paused for a moment, letting that fact sink in. "Diana, these are my parents, my younger brothers, Myles and Beckett, obviously you already know Butler, my uncle Finnian, and last, but certainly not least, Minerva."

            Diana waved nervously at everyone, and it was all too obvious to Artemis that she was intimidated. "Pleasure to finally meet all of you," she said quietly. "Artemis has told me a lot about you."

            "That's lovely to hear," Angeline said. "Have a seat, darlings."

            Artemis pulled out the chair next to his younger brother, Beckett, for Diana to sit. The girl gracefully took her place, allowing Artemis to push her chair in before he took his seat next to her. Artemis waited to see what his family was going to do for a moment before they all began filling their plates with the food in the center of the rectangular table. As he and Diana began to follow suit, the questioning began- surprisingly from Angeline.