Chapter 16: Guilty Conscience

Sorry about the delay guys! I've been busy with... well... admittedly everything but writing recently. Hope this makes up for the lack of uploads. Hope you all enjoy! =)

**********************************************************************

Artemis sat his phone down on the desk, leaning against the wall next to the window. For once in his life, the boy was beside himself. He couldn't believe that Diana was missing, possibly kidnapped. Somehow he couldn't believe that she just left on her own free will, and without her phone at that. Something had to have happened to her; Artemis just didn't know what. The situation was grim, and he certainly needed to figure it out before it went from bad to worse.

Honestly, Artemis felt terrible about the whole incident. Diana's disappearance riddled his thoughts and conscience. It was definitely an unusual feeling, one Artemis hadn't experienced too often; he felt guilty, although he didn't know why. Had he not dropped her off when he had, she might've still been fine and safe at home. Artemis closed his eyes, trying his hardest to gather his thoughts. Artemis needed to get to the bottom of this, and fast. Regardless to what may have happened to Diana, whoever did it was going to regret it once Artemis figured it out.

Someone cleared their throat, causing Artemis to snap out of his trance like state, glancing in the direction in which it came. Standing in the doorway, was Minerva. She had a cautious look upon her face, as if she was unsure if she was welcome there. "Can we talk?" she asked quietly. "Or is this a bad time?"

Artemis shook his head. "You're fine. What do you need?"

Minerva moved slowly out of the doorway, taking a seat at the desk. "Well... what you said at dinner mostly. But I can tell something is bothering you as well, probably something to do with the phone call that you just received."

"What about what I said at dinner?" Artemis almost hissed. He was not in the mood to clarify anything he said. He swore if Minerva started to go on about having her feelings hurt about what he said, he was going to scream.

"I just wanted to agree with you," Minerva stated. "I'm not interested in you like that. I know that you want to focus on your studies, and besides that, I'm already seeing someone else anyhow."

For some reason, that shocked Artemis. For some reason, he found it hard to believe that Minerva was seeing someone else. He silently wondered if this guy was just as intellectual as she was, though somehow he doubted that. "Charming," he muttered. "I'm glad to see we are on the same page on that matter. I wasn't quite sure what you were thinking when I brought it up at dinner."

"Admittedly... I was unfazed," Minerva confessed. "You and I are far too alike to ever be romantically involved. Without differences, relationships become uninteresting. This is why I opted for someone with a lesser intellect, and with very different interests than my own. You'll learn that lesson soon enough."

Artemis raised an eyebrow to that remark, shifting uneasily against the wall. "Soon enough? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that."

Minerva looked up at him, a smirk plastered to her face. "Well who is this Diana girl that your mother brought up?" she asked, pushing her glasses back up. "She obviously means something to you. It's written clear across your face."

Artemis sighed. "She's a girl I just met. She's just a friend. That's all."

Minerva tilted her head skeptically. "For some reason I don't believe that, Artemis. Honestly. You hardly tolerate me most of the time; the fact that this girl has kept your attention long enough for your mother to know her name shows that she's more than just some random girl." She paused for a moment. "You can be honest with me."

Artemis debated what to say in his head for a moment. He truthfully didn't know what to tell Minerva about Diana. It was certainly an odd situation he was in. Once upon a time, Minerva might've meant more to him than she did, and now Diana was practically in Minerva's old spot. "She's just different," Artemis stated. "She's... not like most girls, not obsessed with boy bands and shopping. Diana has a wide variety of interests, and she's actually a really pleasant person to be around."

Minerva's smirk only grew larger. She chuckled lightly to herself. "You don't see it do you?"

"See what?" Artemis questioned. To be honest, he really just wanted to get off the topic of Diana. Artemis just didn't want to bring up what was going on, how she was missing. Artemis was growing weary of this whole ordeal.

"You so obviously fancy her," Minerva revealed. "The fact that you're acting like you don't is all the proof I need. This girl means a lot to you, whether you want to admit it or not, Artemis. And judging by the way you're acting now, I know something happened involving her."

Artemis bit his tongue, mentally swearing. He had forgotten how cunning and detective-like she was. She was right; they were far too alike. "I'm going to ignore the first little bit you said, and answer the second part instead." He took a deep breath, debating on how he was going to explain what happened to Diana, seeing as he really knew nothing about what happened beyond what Marisa had told him. "Diana's missing. Beyond that I don't have any information on it."

"Missing?" Minerva inquired. "What do you mean? Missing?"

Artemis moved off the wall, beginning to pace nervously around the room. He felt a uncharacteristic lump in his throat. "That's exactly what I mean. She just... disappeared. Her sister called me, and told me that she couldn't find her. She found Diana's phone lying outside."

"Any ideas where she could've gone?" Minerva went on, crossing one leg over the other. "No one disappears without any evidence being left behind. Did her sister mention anything else?"

Artemis shook his head. "No, and it's that little bit that concerns me the most. I'm running over every scenario in my head, but nothing seems probable. She didn't leave on her own, that much I guarantee. I just wish there was more I could do."

"You're Artemis Fowl," Minerva reminded, giving him a pointed look. "You can always do more. Don't tell me you're not fuming on the inside, not plotting vengeance on whoever, or whatever, took your friend. I know you better than that, even if I haven't seen you in several years." Minerva stood, crossing the room to where her friend stood. She looked him in the eyes before speaking again. "And I know once you figure out what happened, you're going to give the culprit more than he or she can handle."

Artemis didn't speak for several moments. He knew Minerva had a point. He was angry on the inside, at whoever took Diana, and at himself for letting it happen. He would never reveal that to Minerva, or anyone else for that matter. Artemis was not beyond seeking revenge, and this case was no difference. For the first time in a long time, he felt his blood boiling, calling for the need of retribution for the crime. He turned away from her, glancing at his feet.

"They're going to regret this," he said in almost a whisper, although the venom in his voice was all too obvious. "They're not going to forget the day that they crossed me. I assure that. They're going to pay terribly for this."

Minerva placed her hand on his shoulder. "Give them hell, Artemis."

"I intend on it," Artemis retorted, although he was surprised to hear Minerva of all people use such language. He glanced past his friend, only to see his phone buzzing aimlessly around the desktop. He moved past her, curious as to know who might've been trying to get a hold him now of all times. He picked up his phone, reading the word restricted flash across the screen. Artemis watched it for a few moments before answering it.

"Hello?" he answered.

The boy waited for the person on the other end of the line to answer him, his fear and anxiety building all the while. When the other person finally answered, all of his suspicions had finally been confirmed, something that only made him feel all the more guilty about ever meeting Diana.