Arthur Shelby x Reader - 'can i help you'

You'd been employed at the library as soon as you had left school, being a regular among the bookshelves, the librarian had hired you almost immediately after you'd asked about a job. This took up most of your time; sorting, arranging and helping put away books that had been returned. It was a simple job and you enjoyed it, always being fond of the peace you found between the rows of books.
Tonight, you had offered to stay late with Ada, your closest friend, to help make sure the library was all organised in preparation for the following week.

You and Ada had become quick friends after you began working at the library, her being a couple of years older than you. That was 3 years ago now and the friendship between you both had grown. You spent time with her and Karl on your days off and would often go to her for advice. She was like a big sister to you and you welcomed that with open arms, especially since you hadn't got a lot of family left after the war, not close family anyway.

You'd only just begun working on the shelves at the far end of the large hall, choosing to work back to front, when the front doors burst open and in walked two men. Both men were dressed in smart, fitted suits, flat caps rested on their heads and they instantly scanned the room, making their way towards Ada who was behind the front desk, filing paperwork. You watched, ready to intervene if needed, as they got closer to Ada, she looked annoyed and instantly turned to walk away from them before the shorter one of the two caught her arm.

'Ada, is everything okay?' You called to her, taking small steps towards the large desk she stood behind. She looked up and gave you a small reassuring smile.

'Yes, it's fine Y/N, these are my brothers. It's okay' she spoke quickly and inclined her head over her shoulder to the two dark and looming men that stood, now watching you intently. You gulped harshly, nodding slowly and turning back to your bookshelves. You didn't try to listen to their conversation, only looking up when Ada's voice raised. You knew who and what her brothers were after many late night talks and so you knew the danger you could be in with just their presence. You busied yourself, running your fingers along the spine of books before finding the right space and sliding the book in your arms back into its place.

After ten or so minutes, you'd nearly forgotten that Ada's brothers were there. They had seemingly split up, the shorter one taking Ada away from her place at the desk and into a corner windowsill to speak privately whilst the other, taller Shelby brother was now making his way round the library trying to keep himself occupied. You'd heard him knock off a couple of books from the side boards and curse before shuffling to pick them up. Other than that, you had remained focused on your work.

'Well well well, and what would your name be?' A strong and deep accent rang out from behind you causing you to jump and drop the book in your hand. You spin on your heel, looking up into the blue eyes of one of the Shelby brothers. You feel your breathing hutch for a moment before you regain composure and bend to pick up the book you had dropped. You place it softly on the trolley you were using and face the man again.

'I could ask you the same question' you say, vaguely shocked at how confident you sounded. The man laughs softly and leans against the corner of the table, hands in his pockets as he stares you up and down.

'Arthur, Arthur Shelby' he holds his hand out and you shake it, pulling your hand away quickly when you feel his grip tighten.

'And yours?' He pushes on again. Heat rises to your cheeks.

'Y/N' you all but whisper and he nods his head, repeating your name quietly.

'That's a lovely name' he muses and you get butterflies at the compliment.

'Thank you' you mumble quickly, turning your back on him to continue putting away the array of books laying over your trolley. You feel his presence still, unmoving from his perch. You continue as you were, looking for the correct places for each of the books. You are nearly finished with this section, only a couple more to go when you encounter a problem. The book in your hand belongs on the top shelf, the top shelf that you cannot reach. Stretching up onto your tiptoes, you reach your hand up, only brushing against the top of the shelf below the one you're aiming for. Huffing, you try again. And again. On the fourth try, you sigh, leaning your head against the shelf and cursing. A chuckle comes from behind you and you lift your head, turning to face the offender.

'Can I help you?' Arthur asks, humour in his tone and you feel your cheeks heat up once again.

'Uhm...' you look up at the intended place for the book in your hand and sigh again 'please' you reply, nodding your head shyly.

He towered over you, reaching up and slotting the book into place above your head.

'Arthur' the other brother called from somewhere in the large room, his voice echoing across the shelves.
The man in front of you turned at the call of his name, huffing when he saw his brother beckon him to the door. Arthur turned to you, smiling confidently.

'I'll be seeing you around, Y/N' he drags out your name and you feel a blush rise up your cheeks again.

'Goodbye Arthur' you mumble, eyes looking anywhere but at him. He lets out a breathy laugh before walking backwards away from you, watching you the whole way. When you look up again, he has reached the exit and catches your eyes once more, throwing a wink your way before closing the door behind himself.

'What a bunch of idiots' Ada says as she passes by you to resume her place in the isle next to you. You laugh gently in acknowledgement, Arthur's face in your mind all the while.