Tommy Shelby x Reader

Hey, so here's the first upload.
Please feel free to request. You dont have to request specifically from the prompt list, I'm open to writing anything.
Hope you guys like it and dont forget to leave feedback :) xx

-----------------

It was another stupid event. The only reason you ever actually came to these things was because Polly always begged you. And that was always enough. Especially recently. You knew she was having a tough time lately and so you came to keep an eye on her. You didn’t trust Tommy to do it. Polly looked at you as both a friend and a daughter – much like she did with Ada. Except you weren’t family. The only reason you knew Polly was through your older brother having been a trusted member of the Peaky Blinders – before he went to war and never returned.

You had decided to sneak out to the back of the building while Polly was distracted with some artist man. You breathed in the cold air and reached into your coat pocket to retrieve your cigarettes. Placing one between your lips, you quickly light it, sliding the pack of matches back into your coat. You watch the swirls of smoke leave your lips, leaning against the railings of the stairs.

‘Great minds think alike’ you hear a thick accent from behind you, turning quickly to find Tommy stood in the door way which you had just come through. You roll your eyes, spinning back to the railing and taking another drag from your cigarette.

‘Shouldn’t you be inside, keeping warm and having your pick of the men?’ he quips, coming to stand next to you.

You and Tommy had never gotten along, despite seeing each other all the time. You found him rude and stubborn and everything he said felt like it had a double meaning or an underlying insult despite possibly sounding like a compliment to any passers by. You sigh and look to him. He’s staring off into the distance.

‘Oh, the wit you have Tommy’ you reply sarcastically and throw your cigarette over the railings. Tommy lights his own cigarette, standing in silence for a few moments.

‘I’ve always admired your ability to maintain silence Y/N’ Tommy says absently, looking out at the buildings of Birmingham.

‘There’s never really much to say when you are around’. Tommy laughs at your response, nodding in agreement. You turn and rest your back against the rails, looking to the sky. You see the door to the party open slightly, brushing it off as the breeze pushing it open.

‘Polly seems to be enjoying herself’ Tommy comments and you nod.

‘She does that sometimes. When she isn’t running around after 4 grown men’ you say and raise your brow at him. Tommy throws away his cigarette butt and places his forearms on the railing infront of him, clasping his hands together.

‘It’s called a mothers instinct. You won’t understand until you eventually settle down yourself’ he answers and your anger flares.

‘And what is that supposed to mean?’ you ask, an accusatory tone to your question. Tommy smirks in response and you grow angrier.

Just as Tommy opens his mouth to speak, the door flies open and gun shots echo into the night. Your reflexes kick in and you pull Tommy to the ground with you. John and Arthur, having heard the gun shot, come running to the door, each taking an arm and hauling the attacker away, through the party and down one of the old and unused corridors of the building.

The adrenaline still coursing through you, you don’t realise that you have Tommy clutched in your arms, laid on top of you, until he moves to lean over you, resting his hands above your head.

‘Y/N’ he whispers, voice low and cautious. You feel how wide your eyes are when you look at him. He brings one hand down to cup the side of your face, running his thumb over your cheek gently.

‘Y/N. It’s okay. You’re okay’ his voice is muffled by the ringing in your ears, adrenaline still pumping. Your body betrays you and without thinking, you cling to Tommy’s shoulders, arms wrapped around his neck as you bury your face in his shoulder. He holds your head with one hand, sitting up and cradling your body with his other.

‘I was wrong’ he mutters, so quietly that you barely hear it over the sound of your heavy breathing. You look up to him, questioning in your eyes. Tommy shakes his head and looks down.

‘You do have a mothers instinct’ he says and you both let out breathy chuckles. Maybe Tommy wasn’t so bad after all.