Her brown curls were a mess around her pale temples but in a sort of endearing way that only a young girl could manage to pull off. "Only the most thrilling thing to happen to us all year! Oh, you must tell her, Jane, for I am too out of breath!"

    Elodie looked to Jane, hoping she could provide some much-needed clarification.

    Jane Bennet, the eldest and most beautiful of the six, giggled into the palm of her hand and gestured for her sister to sit beside her, Elodie obliging. "Mamma has just shared with us that a Mr. Bingley will be occupying Netherfield."

Elodie nodded her head with a pursed bottom lip, clearly picturing the infamously large estate. Although she had never seen it in person, many stories were told of its lush, green grasses and gardens. Not to mention the library was supposed to be one of the largest in the area.

Lydia scoffed and moved to squish in next to the two, grabbing Elodie's arm tightly and looking up at her with owl-like eyes. "He makes £5,000 a year! That'd be enough to buy me all the pretty ribbons and bonnets I want!"

    Kitty nodded her head eagerly. "Not to mention, he is single." The four squealed together, Elodie laughing at the sight of them. They were so excited to meet this stranger, especially if one of them could have a chance at being his wife.

"Well let us hope he is to come to the assembly ball tomorrow night." Elodie replied with a quirk of her blonde brow. As if her words had triggered something within her siblings, they all collectively, and very slowly, panned their gaze to their father, who was comfortably tucked away in the corner of the room, his arms upon his belly as he watched his children bemusedly.

    His blue and weathered eyes lifted at the silence that overtook the room. Elodie could just barely make out a look of mischief. The girls held their breath as Mr. Bennet chuckled. "I believe he will."

At his words of confirmation, the girls sprang up and cheered, pulling at each other in excitement. Mary groaned and pushed away from her sisters, heading upstairs to her room.

Mrs. Bennet cried out in relief. "Well if I am to capture this Mr. Bingley's attention, I require that wonderful yellow muslin of yours, my dear Jane." Jane nodded her head and Elodie wrapped her in a tight hug.

    Finally, she would be able to wear that dress!

_________

THE assembly ball the next night—which was held by Sir William and Lady Lucas in Meryton, and which Elodie would've thought to be quite average— was actually alight with enthusiasm, a jovial melody playing and people dancing avidly in the middle of the ballroom.

No doubt the gleeful nature of the room that night was because of the expected arrival of a certain wealthy man.

The Bennet's filed out of their best carriage and stepped into the building, splitting from each other almost instantly; Lydia and Kitty heading towards the ballroom to wait for the next dance, Mary following Mr. and Mrs. Bennet, and Elodie, Jane, and Elizabeth immediately wandering off to find Charlotte Lucas.

    Charlotte Lucas, a kind-hearted and loyal woman nearing her thirties, had been their good friend for many years despite being much older than them. "There you all are! I was beginning to think you wouldn't show!" She said as she tucked a strand of mousy-brown hair behind her ear.