"Just one more cup..."

Cellphones pinged with weather alerts. I appreciated the city's grand design of letting us know a storm was coming, but dark clouds and thunder couldn't keep me from Mike's coffee shop.

Hella-good coffee.

The front entrance chimed once I walked inside. As the door closed, I pulled my jacket tight around me.

"Twenty-two!" a barista called out.

A customer grabbed their coffee and hurried out the door behind me. Thunder crashed again, louder and harder than before. But a little rain didn't hurt anyone.

Normally...

"Twenty-three!" the barista called out the next order but no one moved. I took a step closer for the chance at a delicious cup of Joe.

Me next...

My phone buzzed and I glanced down at my pocket.

Not now...

"Sir?"

I looked up to see the barista who'd called out the previous orders standing at the register.

Smiling, I approached the counter. "I'd like a—"

Rain splashed against the shop's windows. Lights flickered. I gave the barista a weak smile. "I'd like a large hot, bold, with extra sugar."

Her honey eyes weren't focused on me. "S-Sugar?"

I nodded. "Yeah, just said that."

Thunder roared. The few customers left hurried towards the door. "Um..." The barista pulled her brow close together. "I..."

"It's just rain." I glanced at her nametag. "Jemma."

"Yeah..." Jemma pushed loose curls behind her ear.

Outside, the clouds were black. Wind carried everything but solace. I couldn't help but shake my head as I reached for my cellphone.

One message read, "Severe thunderstorm and tornado warning."

The second message... "David, where's the time machine!"

"Fuck..." I cursed under my breath.

"Sir." Jemma pushed a large foam cup in my direction. On its side, written in red was the number twenty-three. "On the house."

I looked down at the coffee. And smelled it. Sweet, Caribbean bliss. "This one got cream?" I asked as a car's horn blared outside.

"Cream. Sugar. All t-that."

"Cool." With a big smile, I took the coffee and brought the lid up to my lips. The beautiful blend of caffeine sweetness touched my tongue and I sighed happily.

"I..." Jemma moved around the counter, hands trembling at her side.

I looked at her, then at the front door. My smile faded. The poor girl just wanted to go home. But she couldn't see lightning spread throughout the clouds like lights on a Christmas tree. Or the break in the sky just a few miles ahead.

Everyone outside braced themselves for what they thought was the storm of the century. And not... the end of days.

I took another sip.

This is the only day I can come back for coffee...

"Sir, I..."

I moved towards the front door. Without looking back, I said, "Call everyone you know. Get below ground. It's the only way you'll get through this shit."

"I don't... understand," Jemma whispered.

With the cup against my lips, I pushed the door open with my back. "It's cool, neither did I."