"Nebula's Heart -- Ajs An'hlj."

[Originally posted 12/19/2017]

Ajs An'hlj.

She is who birthed us. Our mother. Our grand creator. It was her love that granted us life, and it is her heart that sustains us. We, as her children, vow to protect all that she was, is, and will be. If she is lost, we cease to exist.

And they know that.

"Master Quinn."

I stand where I can see all. Before me, kept safe and secure, is the heart of my one true love -- Ajs An'hlj. I observe it before I look out into the nebula littered with stars and dust, outside the cockpits window. Behind me, I hear one of the smaller guardians call my name.

"Master Quinn?"

I smile. "Yes, Lark." I turn and look at him. Him, and his bright, purple eyes and pale cheeks. "Has the time come?"

"It has," he says, hiding his hands in the folds of his long, white cloak. "They've approached the ships shields. They've demanded we release the heart and they'd spare Alencia."

Alencia -- our beautiful planet. I can only imagine the terrors they'd inflict if I refuse to give up this capsule. It's beating, like quiet notes strong on a harp, kept my own heart alive. I look at it, then look at Lark, and ruffle the golden locks on his head.

"Master." He looks concerned. "The other guardians are awaiting orders. Do we attack?"

"No," I say and cup my hands behind my head. The waves of my black hair sat nestled between my fingers. "No one attacks. We await her orders."

"Hers?" Lark sighs and shakes his head. He approaches the capsule with weary hands, and slowly, he traces his fingers along it's crystal glass. The stars outside seem to move and react to his touch, dancing in the black that blankets the galaxy. "I don't know if we can await her orders. She's been asleep for thousands of years."

"She hears you," I say as I point outside the window. "Look there, see? She moves at your touch. You must remember, and always remember, she is the space we navigate, the stars we observe. She'll see their evil, and destroy their warships. Just wait."

Outside, deep within the halls, I hear yelling. Screaming. Some of the guardians curse my name, and I chuckle to myself. Non-believers, they are. It made all the sense in the galaxy to appoint me as her seer, her watcher. Only I can see as she sees. Only I can love as she loves.

"Master Quinn."

Oh, blasted boy.

I face him and cup his face. My eyes, bright red like embers, brighten his face with a glow of ardor and amity. I touch his cheek, and the lines below his eyes. A boy so young should sleep, I think as I smile, but I wouldn't say it. Instead, I say, "Bring in the generals. I'll address them myself."