Peace Interrupted

Wen Ning was not a man that could be considered disloyal. So it absolutely pained him to not tell Wei-gongzi about last night, but Lan-gongzi knew what he was doing, so he trusted him to deal with the situation at hand.

That didn't mean he couldn't dote on his nephew, however. As Sizhui was, expectantly, hit with the most irritating of headaches and was constantly pestered by them at the most inconvenient of times, he would always be by his side, checking if he was okay, fetching herbs from the dispensary and giving them to him to aid his affliction.

In hindsight he should've been more subtle, because when he left the Concert Hall where Sizhui was doing his best to concentrate on the notes, Wei-gongzi pulled him aside, his eyebrows knitted in concern.

"Wen Ning, is A' Yuan alright? He seems to have be in constant pain, and you keep having to give him medicine." He whispered.

"Oh, that..." Wen Ning mumbled, looking for a quick excuse. "A' Yuan's yang energy has become somewhat turbulent. Lan-gongzi is going to play some Qin in order to soothe him."

"Is that so?" Wei-gongzi muttered. "I hope he'll recover fast, because I can't bear to see him in pain."

"Oh, he'll be okay as soon as Lan-gongzi is finished!" Wen Ning reassured quickly. "Let's just leave them be in the Concert Hall for now."

To Wen Ning's relief, Wei-gongzi nodded in agreement.

"That checks out. Lan Zhan always knows how to fix things."

Patting Wen Ning on the shoulder, he looked to a group of excitable rabbits surrounding the water well, nibbling on the grass growing around it.

"Ah, I see the rabbits are hungry again."

"Perhaps we should get them some food-" Wen Ning was about to suggest when a black rabbit began to viciously fight a smaller brown rabbit that was a little too close to a newborn bunny.

"What the..."

A larger white rabbit took the tiny kit away in its mouth whilst the black rabbit continued to duke it out with the perceived attacker, angered by the close proximity.

"Huh, the rabbits are getting violent. Should we intervene?"

"We should keep the black rabbit away from the brown one, Wei-gongzi."

Wen Ning walked over to the fighting rabbits and swiftly separated them. He picked up the black rabbit, but then was harassed by the white rabbit that had taken the kit away. The rabbit continuously circled him like it was trapping him, then charged at his feet with murderous intent, only to slightly bump him off balance.

"Ah, now what?!" Wen Ning sighed, beginning to feel frustrated. Wei-gongzi, however, was laughing as he gently took the black rabbit out of his hands and carried it to a patch of grass close to the Spring Pavilion, the white rabbit close behind. Somehow it had calmed down significantly when he held the rabbit, yet was aggressive when Wen Ning had done the same! Did the rabbits really love Wei-gongzi so much?

Once he placed down the black rabbit, the white rabbit hopped to it and nuzzled into the dark fur. The little bunny the black rabbit was fervently protecting was also bouncing around, energetic in comparison to the relaxed adult.

"So adorable!" Wei-gongzi cooed, drinking in the sight of the group of fluffy rabbits.

"They're also aggressive..." Wen Ning mumbled to himself, frowning.

But that was alright, save for his somewhat bruised ego. As long as Wei-gongzi was distracted from his husband and son, it would all be fine.