What's Wrong With Me?

Out of all days, Sizhui just had to have his luck turn sour today. A fun outing with Jingyi and his friends turned into a conspiracy about his father and a Jin disciple harassing him to the point where he had to raise his hand (well, fist).

What was wrong with that guy? He hoped that the other Jin disciples were less loathsome than that Jin Chan, or he would have to avoid Lanling for the rest of his days.

Thankfully, Jingyi accompanied him on the way home up until Uncle Ning's house wasn't too far, as Sizhui wouldn't risk Jingyi knowing too much, especially with today's revelations.

"Are you sure you don't want me to walk with you further?" Jingyi offered.

"Thank you for your concern A' Yi, but it's okay." Sizhui reassured. "I'll be okay."

Though he really felt as if he should accompany Sizhui, Jingyi let him win this round. He badly wanted to kiss Sizhui on the forehead as to comfort him, but he knew that it'd do more harm than good after being harassed by Jin Chan.

Unfortunately, he had a good idea of the rest of what Jin Chan had in mind: he would say that Sizhui was a tempter, a slut, better off being a prostitute or rich man's sex toy than a cultivator or farm boy. Maybe he would say that he would...ugh, just thinking about it was enough to boil Jingyi's blood.

No matter how many times Jin Ling would report to his uncle that Jin Chan was borderline sexually harassing those he deemed inferior to him, Jin Guangyao would always tell him not to make a fuss of it, and told an indignant Zizhen to not upset him when he had confronted Jin Chan for his sordid behaviour and the bastard reported it to Jin Guangyao. Jingyi had half a mind to storm to Carp Tower and demand that Jin Chan be removed from Lanling for them.

Hiding his anger, Jingyi smiled and patted Sizhui gently on the shoulder.

"Have a good night, little butterfly."

The action, though little, was significant to Sizhui. Jingyi knew how to comfort him even with the smallest gesture. It was enough for Sizhui to reassure himself that indeed, he can have a good night even if the day was unpleasant; as he watched Jingyi turn around and disappear into the woods to return to his residence, he wondered what the future had in store for them. And as selfish as it was to think so, he had decided, since the day Jingyi miraculously stumbled his way into his life, that he didn't want the same lifestyle of his parents. Their love for one another was strong and purer than the finest jade the world had to offer, but they also trapped him, and inadvertently themselves and Uncle Ning, under a thick blanket of secrecy and paranoia. Sizhui didn't want to live the remainder of his life fearing who and what may attack: he wanted to fight back first hand. And Jingyi was the perfect company.

"Little butterfly?"

The voice behind him that cut his daydreaming sounded confused, as if it was trying to comprehend what it heard. Sizhui didn't even have to turn around to know who it was.

"Uncle Ning." He called out, his back still facing Ning.

"You're a little later than expected," Ning remarked. "And your pa's robes are wet..."

Sizhui looked down at the soaked hem of his hanfu, grass blades stuck to the fabric, before looking back up at his worried uncle.

"Oh! I just had to walk out in a little rain, that's all." He lied, dismissing his uncle's concerns.

He didn't want to have to explain what happened back in the banquet or the woods- it was too shameful for him to recount, and he didn't want to worry his family about the Jins.

Ning lifted an eyebrow, as though he immediately saw through the lies.

"A' Yuan. Don't lie to me."