The Petal Banquet

If one were to ask Sizhui how he would describe his life, he would, out of courtesy, use only one word: comfortable or maybe the word satisfactory. He lived as simply as a teenager in the world of cultivation could, with education and humility and whatnot. He had his own principles and rules to follow and tasks to complete.

Of course, this was to be expected with being raised by the legendary Lan Wangji as his lone son. A routine that was set but not completely inflexible was the norm for Sizhui. Whether it was music lessons or improving on  swordsmanship, or fixing his white hanfu or learning to cook, there was always something to do, no doubts or compromises about it. Yet, there was no complaints from Sizhui. After all, he liked to be occupied. Besides, he rarely found his tasks to be tedious, no matter what they were. Even chores, arguably something so boring many opted to ignore them even when necessary, were something he felt grateful for.

His pa, Wei Wuxian, had called this inability to become bored a strange, but welcome gift. Now he was different from his cultivation partner Lan Zhan: he was more expressive with his emotions and supposedly more carefree. And though Sizhui could agree with the first observation, the second was...not so agreeable. After all, it was not Lan Zhan who bombarded him with questions no matter where he went.

Despite both of their flaws, Sizhui loved his parents very much. They cared for him when everyone else in his young life had died, and they had even reunited with his Uncle Ning after speculations of his execution. His uncle was never too far away, and was always there protect him. Sizhui had always suspected his pa put him up to that, but never spoke of the matter.

It was this very same uncle who Sizhui was accompanied by as they walked through the market. Thankfully, a small town was only twenty minutes away from home by foot, so it was fine for him to be an acceptable distance. He wished his fathers were less protective of him, but he understood why. After all, they had warned him of the perils of the world, and to be alert at all times. Still, it was suffocating at times.

Sizhui was certainly out of it, because his uncle noticed that he was just standing idly and silent as he sold some turnips to a pleasant merchant.

"Are you okay?" Uncle Ning asked suddenly, noticing how Sizhui was staring blankly. He paused and held his nephew's arm gently.

"Y-yes." Sizhui replied, his attention elsewhere.

"You seem tense," Uncle Ning noted. "are you feeling ill? I can make you some medicine, or I can talk to your fathers to see if they can use talismans to help."

Immediately Sizhui shook his head, his attention returning at the mention of his parents.

"Oh no, I'm fine." he reassured. "I have a lot on my mind right now."

"Well, I hope you're not giving yourself a hard time." Uncle Ning continued, placing vegetables into their basket. "You must have a clear conscience."

"I know." Sizhui replied as he took out the pouch of money his father gave him to pay for the produce they went for. He handed over the silver to the shopkeeper, who thanked them for their patronage. They thanked him for his services in return, and turned around to venture elsewhere.

"Ah wait, I almost forgot to tell you this!" The shopkeeper burst out, which prompted the two to turn around.

"What is it?" Sizhui asked, his curiosity piqued. "Is the Petal Banquet having another extension?"

"Even better- there are cultivators from the Four Clans visiting for the Petal Banquet!" The shopkeeper exclaimed excitedly. "Can you believe it? Such prestigious men and women visiting for us!"

"Really?" Sizhui replied in equal excitement. "That sounds amazing! Doesn't it, Uncle?"

When he turned to face his uncle, his smile dropped. His uncle's eyes were bulging wide and his face was contorted as if he had heard the most terrible, soul wrenching news. His hands began to shake, and Sizhui had to immediately hold it in an attempt to calm him down.