Break a leg

Callin's P.O.V

The pageant was starting in ten minutes and Ian still wasn't here. It looked as if I was going to be the only girl walking the catwalk without an escort.

"That bastard is doing a no show!" I gasped.

Luce was pinning up the final strands of my hair into a big bunch. She had already perfected my makeup for me.

"Well then, you show the rest of the girls that you don't need a man, that you are an amazing, independent girl!" Luce said softly.

She gave me a quick hug before applying the final touches of my makeup. She looked at me with approval. She had obviously seen me kissing Austin in his car, but Luce hadn't brought it up. Maybe because she just wanted to focus on the pageant, or maybe she had finally learnt to keep out of other people's business. I would have thought she would have been fuming, as the last time I checked she wasn't Mahones biggest fan...

Before Luce could say anything else, there was a soft knock at the door. After a moment, the door opened slightly, revealing Mrs Mahone.

"Callin, you look stunning!" She gasped before pulling me into a tight hug.

She pulled out a small black box, placing it quickly in my hand.

"Just a little good luck charm from Austin and I..." she said as I opened it.

A silver diamond choker laid there, glistening in the light. I couldn't take this from them, why would Austin want to give me a diamond necklace? He didn't care about me, no one did...

"Michelle, I can't take this... Austin isn't even my escort." I shook my head trying to hand it back to her.

Michelle took the necklace from me and put it around my neck. She grinned before making her way out of the dressing room.

"Even if Austin isn't your escort, I am rooting for you out there with Alex and Sarah." she winked before leaving.

Luce looked at her watch before grabbing my wrist and pulling me out of the dressing room. It was time for the pageant. We hurried to the backstage area. All of the girls were already there and they had started the pageant, but none of the girls had gone on. There were mostly cheerleaders or just pretty girls whose parents had probably forced them into it, like me. I scanned the room and found Hannah. She looked great.

Her ginger hair pulled to the side in a fishtail braid, wearing an emerald green dress that hugged her perfect figure. I didn't stand a chance. But looking closer to Hannah's face, I noticed that she looked intimidated. I followed her gaze and let out a gasp myself. There stood Kim Wild. She had been gone for ages, but had decided to turn up to the pageant to crush all of the girls confidence. Because now she was here, nobody stood a chance.

"Holy shit..." Luce mumbled.

Girls were quickly making their way down the catwalk and soon it was just me, Hannah and Kim. We all refused to look at each other. My name was called to step up. Luce gave me a nod, as I made my way up the steps Kim grabbed my arm roughly.

"Break a leg Constancio." she hissed in my ear.

Taking a deep breath, I remembered visiting my Mums grave this morning. She would want me to do this. I cleared out the thoughts of Kim and Hannah from my head and stepped out onto the catwalk. I smiled and made my way down just as Luce had taught me, my eyes were blinded by camera flashes and the audience chanting. People were actually cheering for me...

When I had made it to the end of the catwalk, I spun around. My leg got caught in my dress and I braced myself for the fall and humiliation. Luckily, I fell into a strong pair of arms. I looked up to meet a familiar pair of hazel eyes.