• n i n e t e e n •

Start from the beginning

Nothing of that sort happened and I was guilty with overthinking and reading more into the situation than I should have. His sudden hostility was really unnerving.

When Mrs. Lively arrived, my mind was still struggling about if I should ask him if he's alright or not. The situation was quite ironical considering I was the one ignoring him yesterday. Maybe I should leave him alone.

I tried to focus and looked over to see Annikah attentively taking down notes. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rafael still deep in thought, his jaw ticking as he stared ahead with his sole concentration on a lone pen in front of him.

"Hey" I whispered to him, but he ignored me. Okay then.

I didn't say anything for the next ten minutes. It was pathetic how I couldn't pay attention in class just because I was obsessing over the absurd thoughts festering in my mind.

"Are you okay?" I blurted out before I could stop the words from tumbling out of my mouth. I saw Annikah glance our way before quickly averting her gaze.

He ignored me once again and I sighed. I wasn't going to get angry because I had treated him like this yesterday. Say hello to Karma, bitch.

I looked ahead and once again failed to absorb anything Mrs. Lively was teaching. Damn, this sucks.

"I'm sorry about yesterday, but are you okay?" I don't know if I had a death wish when I talked to Rafael for the third time because the burning glare he shot me was probably enough to  disintegrate my bones.

"Why don't you ask your fucking boyfriend that?" he spat out with such venom that I physically recoiled as if he had slapped me.

I wished I hadn't asked in the first place because now the entire classroom's attention was on us. Including Alec who was shooting me a murderous warning glare, which I ignored. I really had to thank my stars for this amazing week.

"Mr. Hernandez!" Mrs. Lively boomed and I flinched once again, my body acting of it's own accord. I shrinked further into my seat, hoping I could be anywhere but here right now.

I was clenching my fists in an attempt to stop my hands from shaking, but it was like they were revolting against my control.

"Yeah?" Rafael said in a nonchalant tone, not even looking at her. He was looking at me, his gaze was spiteful, just like I had imagined in my nightmare and this revelation was enough to make my mind go down a dark rabbit hole of self destructive thoughts.

"Detention. After School" She gritted out, her face was red from the effort of holding back her anger. "Sorry. Can't do that. I'm busy" he rolled his eyes and his cold demeanour was scaring me.

"You have no choice in the matter" Mrs. Lively shouted, losing her cool as Rafael deviated his poisonous sight onto her, and she shifted a little, much to my surprise.

"Take that up with my father" he stared icily at her, dismissing her with a wave of his hand. I expected him to storm out like yesterday but he stayed put and lifted an eyebrow in challenge to her.

Mrs. Lively was an inch away from bursting a carotid, her face was now scrunched up in anger and her eyes were brimming with hate. She surprised me, once again, by turning back and resuming her teaching.