Chapter 40: Following The Scent of Chaos and Death

En başından başla

"Thirty-third."

~Caroline POV~

Caroline stood outside Stefan's gravestone, completely enraged by the sight. Someone had not only broken into his grave; they had stolen his body. She crushed the flowers in her hand and groaned before hearing a voice that terrified her.

"CAROLINE! CAROLINE! CAROLINE!"

Gingerly, she turned behind her, the direction of the voice and felt her jaw drop at the sight of him. The flowers in her hand dropped to the floor as she lay her eyes on him.

"St—Stefan?" She asked in disbelief.

"Caroline." He said, his own eyes wide. "I've been looking for you, for—I don't even know how long. I sorta lost time after I came back."

"How are you here?" She asked, still not moving towards him, just in case he disappeared.

"I don't know." He said with a shake of his head. "I just woke up and I realised I was alive and that I needed to see you."

"So, you're back?" She murmured, tears streaming down her face.

"Yeah, I'm—"

She didn't let him finish his sentence as she grabbed his face into her hands and gave him a long-awaited kiss. He melted into her, the two meeting with a welcome familiarity.

"I've missed you too." Stefan said as he pulled away from their kiss.

"I still can't believe you're real!" She said with a happy giggle. "How are you real?"

Stefan stumbled on his feet, worrying Caroline who steadied his feet for him. He pulled away from her, watching her with a suddenly panicked gaze.

"Who are you?" He asked her.

"What?"

"I SAID WHO ARE YOU?" He bellowed, grabbing her neck and squeezing tightly.

"Please—you're hurting me." She spluttered out.

"Where is Fiore?" He asked her.

"In New Orleans." Caroline answered, still gasping for breath.

"Yes." He said as if recalling memories. "New Orleans. With Klaus. And Grace."

"Let go of me!" She pleaded as she futilely kicked against him. He seemed to remember what he was doing to her and let go, carelessly dropping her on the mausoleum floor.

"Where am I?" He asked her.

"Mystic Falls." She answered. "What is going on? One minute you're kissing me, the next you're—"

"Kissing you?" He asked with a scoff. "I don't even know who you are."

"Your wife!" She snapped in exasperation. "Caroline!"

"No, I never got married." He said with a shake of his head. "And I certainly wouldn't have married you. You are far too...loud."

"Excuse me?" She asked her rage climbing up again.

"I have to go." He said, catching himself. "I need to see Grace. I need to finally see her."

He dashed off, leaving Caroline in an annoyed fit of complete and utter confusion.

~Fiore POV~

"What are you doing here?" I asked with a groan as I picked up a bottle and took a swig.

"Hoping to discourage you from this." Klaus replied as he gestured to the carnage that I had caused in the bar. The entire establishment was filled to the brim with dead bodies as during my time I had taken the liberty to fill myself up. "It appears as though I was too late."