chapter five: amnio

Oswald, Edward and Valerie anxiously await the results of the amniocentesis. Finally the phone rings, and, since Edward was the only one home (Valerie was at the store with Oswald, even though he hated people mistaking Valerie for his wife) Ed answers the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Dr Francis. Am I speaking to Edward Cobblepot-Nygma?"

"Yes this is Edward Cobblepot-Nygma speaking."

"Yes, I wanted to talk to you about the results of the amniocentesis we ran on your surrogate Valerie."

"The amnio? Oh, dear... Is everything ok?"

"Yes, the babies are perfectly healthy. Do you want to know the gender of your twins?"

"Um, yeah sure. Just know my husband is at the store with Valerie right now. He's getting her like pregnancy craving stuff."

"Well, Mr Cobblepot-Nygma, you're going to have two boys. From what we can tell."

"That's great. I'll tell Oswald and Valerie everything when they get home!" Ed says excitedly, wrapping up the phone call. Like clockwork, a Oswald and a very pregnant Valerie walk through the door.

"Hey, did Dr Francis call while we were gone?" Valerie says nervously, sitting on the couch.

"Actually, yeah."

"What did she say?" Oswald and Valerie say in unison.

"The twins are perfectly healthy, and they're both boys." Ed says quietly, watching Oswald's face light up.

"Oh, thank God these boys are healthy. I'm really happy for you guys." Valerie says happily, smiling.

"Now I know what color to paint the nursery!" Oswald says sweetly.

Ed smiles and sits down beside them, putting a hand on Valerie's belly.

This is what happiness looks like....