The Turning of the Wheel

Delphi winced at the abnormal profanity that had spewed out of Rowan's mouth.

"Half-sister?" Rowan asked. "How long have you known?"

"A year now," Tahlia confessed.

"I'm guessing you're not from Carren's side," he guessed.

"Yep, apparently Avner Kostidanova had two girlfriends," Tahlia said. "I'm Agawin Raeh's daughter."

"That's where you got your sword," Rowan said in understanding.

"Yeah," Tahlia said, reaching for the hilt in her belt.

"Why are you telling this to me now?" he asked.

"I got a note from my mother," she said.

"That's impossible," Rowan said with a frown. "Agawin Raeh died alongside my father."

"It was a note written before then," Tahlia deadpanned.

"Oh, sorry," Rowan said. "Why are you getting it now?"

"I dunno," Tahlia grumbled. "But I'm supposed to be stepping into some role a Naming Seer predicted."

Gwillan dropped his fork.

"A Naming Seer predicted something about you?" he asked. "That's not good news."

"Oh, relax, I'm gonna be a hero," Tahlia said.

"That doesn't always work out the best," Guinevere pointed out. "Your parents, for example."

Tahlia shrugged. "Go out in a blaze of glory, right? Besides, it's no guarantee of my future."

"Actually-"

"Actually, it's my choice, Pennykettle, and no one gets to take it away from me!" she cried. "I just thought I should be honest for once! I'll see you in class."

She joined Jacelyn from Pukwudgie and the two girls walked away and Delphi wondered what she should've said.

...

Classes were the same as usual. Delphi was finding the excitement of going to school and learning about magic to be fading more and more every year. It was boring, sitting in a classroom with underpaid teachers, when she was already just as powerful as some of the staff.

You've still got a long way to go, she reminded herself as she wrote more notes on the Animagus transformation. Remember Sibyl. You're not a good witch yet.

So the school year began on a hitch. Delphi watched as Tahlia kept living as if she was waiting, waiting for something important. Rowan, on the other hand, just tried to shrink away from the world with his logic puzzles. Especially when there was more and more talk on Halloween of just handing him over to Carren in exchange for the school's safety.

"No one with reason is going to hand you over, Rowan," Delphi said soothingly. "I promise. We all know this isn't your fault."

"I just wish there was something I could do to prove it to them," he admitted.

"Prove what?" Guinevere asked.

"I don't know. Anything that would make all this worth it."

....

The year was going by quickly. It was enjoyable, between watching Quodpot games and showing off, and even just hanging out on the lawn. If asked three years ago, even one year ago, Delphi would've said she had no idea what home felt like. Now, if she was asked, she'd describe those sweet little moments in life. Moments she had no idea of when she was sitting neglected in the attic.