The Last Hours

There was an air of mystery around those who had returned from winter break. Tahlia and Rowan were often being tutored in separate classes, leaving Delphi as the only source to figure out the truth of the gossip. While Gwillan and Alexa did their best to shield Delphi from it, she knew they wondered too.

The truth was, Delphi was probably the most stable of all three of them. She was tired from staying up most nights with Tahlia, who was often too afraid to sleep until her fatigue often forced her to black out. Not that it helped the situation any. Delphi was also emotionally exhausted half the time. Rowan's feelings had not gotten better at any point. If anything, he was even angrier than usual, and often ranting and crying. She got the feeling he didn't exactly trust his parents. If anything, Agawin and Avner were gone from Tahlia and Rowan's lives almost as much as they were before.

As Delphi lay awake at night with her friend, some part of her sensed that the Starkillers were still out there and planning the latest of their assaults. Of course, Voldemort agreed.

It was a fine April night. Delphi lay on her side, watching and waiting as Tahlia read a textbook aloud quietly. It was 11:00.

There came a tap at the window. Delphi leapt up, her ancestor's wand at her side. She opened the window, and Rowan dropped through. His gray-green eyes shone brightly like the stars above with a sort of urgency and anger.

"We need to get to Sky City," he said.

"Why?" Tahlia asked, looking up from her book. "It's an hour to midnight!"

"I got a message from my mother," Rowan said as he pulled a letter from his pocket.

"What?" Tahlia got to her feet and Delphi snatched it out of his hands.

To my brave, brave boy,

You only have twelve hours. Save Sky City. Find the stars.

Love,

Carren

"It's a trap," Delphi said as she handed it to Rowan.

"Most assuredly," Rowan agreed.

"We're going anyway, aren't we?" Tahlia said in a resigned tone.

"Definitely," Delphi said. She sat down, lacing up her boots, and pulled on the leather jacket Draco had sent her for Christmas. She grabbed her other wand as Tahlia grabbed her magic sword.

"Take us to Sky City," Delphi cast. The portal opened, and she looked to Tahlia. "You've got the big sword. Lead the way."

Tahlia nodded and entered the portal. Rowan followed, and Delphi jumped through, landing in the plaza lit brightly against the night. Not as many people were in the streets, but nonetheless they blended in with people running about.

"I guess we need to find some Stars then," Tahlia said.

Delphi looked to Rowan. "Do you know what they might be?"

"Actually, I do," he said. "There was a Starkiller that made the Sky City after World War II."

"And there's a star theme?" Delphi asked tiredly.

"Yep."

These are the worst Dark Lords of all time, Voldemort complained.

Shut up, you have a snake theme, Delphi retorted.

"Okay, so how do we find it?" Delphi asked.

"First, we need to remove the amulet spell," Rowan said, his cheeks flaring red.

"We're not doing that!" Delphi cried. "It's a trap!"

"But it might help us save the City and the MACUSA!" Rowan protested.

"We might not need to save the City if I don't!" Delphi cried. "And we don't owe the MACUSA anything!"

"Think, Rowan," Tahlia said. "It's probably a trap."

"You don't understand!" Rowan shouted, clearly getting angry.

"Then explain it to me!" Delphi shouted.

"I knew I'd find you here," a cold voice said.

The three all turned around to see the Dark Lady standing there in broad starlight. She was coldly beautiful, wearing a black jumpsuit and several rings glimmering on her finger. Her silvery blonde hair was braided around her crown. She strode forward, her eyes as dark as Carren's, intent on Delphi.

"You will give me the amulet now," the Dark Lady threatened.

"Why should I?" Delphi demanded defiantly.

"Imperio," the Dark Lady cast. Delphi ducked, but it hit Rowan, faster than she could see. The Dark Lady's full lips smirked, her austere features becoming wicked.

"No, no, no," Rowan whispered as he backed away, only to trip and fall over. "I won't, I won't, I WON'T!"

He turned to shadow and the shadow began to spread. An Obscurus was loose on Sky City. Delphi turned back to the Dark Lady.

"Why would that make me want to help you?" she screamed.

"I can control him if you undo the charm," the Dark Lady said.

"You're going to have to try better than that," Delphi snarled.

"I'm afraid you can't save him forever from what my Rowan did to him," she said. "Maybe you might get him back this time. But his magic will destroy him."

"You-you-" Delphi spluttered angrily.

"Witch?" the Dark Lady asked with a smirk. "Time is ticking down. Make your choice."

Delphi reluctantly fished the chain of the amulet out from under her shirt. She then unwound it. The light shot from the amulet into the sky.

"I do keep my promises, fellow snake," the Dark Lady said. She shot a beam into the sky that Delphi then recognized. A healing star.

The Obscurus united again and the glow of the healing star appeared. Rowan softly drifted down, unconscious from the experience, despite how brief it was. People ran out into the streets, and the damage had already been done.

"Tick tock, cousin," the Dark Lady said. "The last hours are upon us."