Ch 30 ~ More Time

Start from the beginning

My voice raises at the last word.

King Thranduil barely spares me a glance, resting lazily on his throne as if any care of mine is beneath his concern.

I struggle to calm my breathing, to douse the flames now coursing through the blood pounding in my head but my heart beats frantically. Panic begins to claw at my mind, clouding my vision as I try to regain control of my head, to think of something, anything, to get me home.

As dread begins to settle in, I catch a shred of pity flicker in the cold eyes of the Woodland King, but it is gone as soon as it came.

"I'll admit, I do regret that I cannot spare an escort or soldier to accompany you back, but unfortunately I am spent." His words convey none of the sentiment. "The dwarves of Erebor have sent out a call for help." A hint of disgust colors his tone at the mention of the dwarves. "A dragon from the north terrorizes their home and as their ally, I am expected to answer their call. I lead my armies for the mountain tomorrow at dawn."

His words barely register in my mind, desperation beginning to take hold of me.

Elrohir didn't tell me why I couldn't come with him and Elladan to save our mother. And now that she had been safely returned, Ada was denying me the chance to see her, keeping me here. I couldn't begin to fathom why, all of a sudden, they were so keen on locking me up as if I couldn't take care of myself. They very well know I can and have done so before. I have faced enemies before, commanded armies, planned battle strategies, surely a trip home wouldn't-

The realization hits me like a wave of icy water.

The concern couldn't be with my skill.

Ada knows I can take care of myself, there should be no question of my traveling alone.

No, it's not my skill.

Something is wrong.

And for some reason, they are keeping me from home to stop me from figuring out what.

The Kings cold voice cuts through my thoughts.

"Do not try to leave on your own, Lady Celebríel." He commands, that mask of indifference once again on his face. "You will wait for Lord Elrond to send someone for you."

His words strike a nerve. Amidst the turmoil in my mind, something snaps.

"Send someone for me?" My voice is sharp, a blade slicing through the silence of the vast room. "I am not a dog, waiting to be summoned at its master's call."

My eyes are icy as I glare at the King, sparking with defiance and pride. "I am nobody's pet or pawn. My mother is back, and I've waited long enough. I am going home, and I will be doing so on nobody's terms but my own."

Rage sparks in his cold eyes, yet nothing cracks the emotionless mask worn over his features as he calmly decrees, "No, you are not. You are forbidden to leave this forest by order of its King and the will of your father. I warn you not to test the fury of either."

He utters the words like a prison sentence, chains meant to snap around my wrists and lock me up behind a door of iron.

I refuse to let them hold me.

Legolas shifts at my side, finally choosing to speak.

"Ada, surely we can spare someone to go with her," he protests, stepping next to me to face his father.

A look of annoyance passes over the King's face as he turns to face his son, gingerly rubbing at his temple.

"I have no one to spare, Legolas." His words are drawn out, as if he were reprimanding a young child. "Lord Elrond has asked that she remain here and so she shall."