Mama Kanaya

Be nubby horned loser ==>

I was sitting on floor, knees up to my chest and heaving from running away from Strider.

Gog knows where I was on this stupid fucking meteor. But anywhere away from Shades and his stupid smirk was good enough for me. Damn that insufferable prick. Why does he always have to get me so hot and bothered. It's like a childish game to him. A game that is no fucking fun for me. Okay but the pancakes were nice. No matter how unexpected  they were.

I pushed the thought away and wrapped my arms around my knees as I heard footsteps. Please don't be Dave or Terezi. Please don't be Dave or Terezi. Please don't be Dave or Terezi. Please don't be Dave or Terezi. Please don't be Dave or Terezi. Please don't be Dave or Terezi.

"Karkat ? Are you alright?" A soft but articulate voice spoke. Thank Gog. "Hi Kanaya. And yeah, I'm fine." That was a lie. It's always a lie. She sat down next to me and racked over my face with her jade and yellow eyes. "Do you want to talk about it ?" I simply nodded in response.

"I'm just confused. Yesterday, Strider and I were fighting, as usual. Then this morning he decides to bring me pancakes. And we have an overall fun time. Then he gets back to his usual bullshit and gets me all flustered. I just wish I understood that guy and his motives. Maybe if I did, I could trust him better with Terezi..." My voice got quieter as I finished rambling.

She pondered in silence before responding. "Well, maybe he's like you. Maybe he hides his emotions behind a wall of nonchalance and 'irony'. Not too dissimilar to your aggressive exterior. Maybe he enjoys your company but doesn't know how to express it. I'm no psychologist but it's not hard to see that the two of you share many similarities." She gave me a comforting smile as I processed what she said.

"So what you're saying is that Strider isn't a complete asshole?"

She chuckled at my question. "I think being an 'asshole', as you put it, is just part of his 'cool kid' persona." She insisted on the last word. I rested my head on her shoulder as i thought things over.

Maybe Kanaya is right. Maybe I'm the asshole. I feel bad now. Fuck you past Karkat. Maybe I should apologize to him. Fuck that ! Okay but maybe I should just swallow my pride and be nicer to him.

"Thanks Kanaya. You know, no matter what I may say or how much I yell at you, you're a great friend. You kinda remind me of one of those human 'moms'." We both chuckle at that.

"You know you can always talk to me Karkat. No matter how much you love stewing in all your bottled up emotions, it's not healthy." I sigh having heard this from her a thousand times. "Yeaaaaah... you're right." She really was like a human mom, I've know here since we were wrigglers and she's always been there for me.

Wait... does that make Lalonde my step mom thingy ??? I hope not, she's too nosy. My train of thought was interrupted by Kanaya speaking. "Well, I think it is soon approaching our mid day meal time. We should get going." And with that, we both got up and went to the cooking block.

607 words

Sorry for the short chapter. I didn't really know what else to write and I wanted to end it on a good not between Karkat and Kanaya.