Chapter Five

L Aweley: 

I don't know what I expected for supper. I was going to eat it, whatever it was. I swear I don't want to be a rude guest. I'm here to learn, or whatever. I'd like to get along with these people. I swear it's true. 

But again, my expectations are torn to shreds when Morag bursts into my room. 

"Hello, L! I hope you're settling in well enough!" She practically crows. She has a mask on, like Frankie.  But it's not like Frankie's, actually. It's more like something someone would wear to a masquerade, where it only really covers the eyes and the bridge of the nose. 

"Uh, yeah. It's... nice here." I say, awkward. 

"Oh, we probably can't compare to where you've been before," Morag said, waving a hand. "Now-- What do you want from the Chinese place?" 

I blinked. 

Well. How do I respond to this? I don't exactly have the menu, and I'm not even that hungry. 

"Uh- Can I just get some wonton soup or something?  Maybe some rice, too?" I ask, awkward. Is this polite? Is it right to ask them to buy me food? She's asking, so I have to assume it's okay. 

"Of course!" She says loudly. With a spinning motion, she half-dances out of my room. 

Around half an hour later, we sit silently in the dining room. Len looks like a steampunk scientist, with leather gloves on, large goggles with unnecessary gears and cogs pasted on them. They also have what may be a leather coat, but I'm not sure of the material. 

There is another person at the table that I do not recognize. I guess that they're Len's familiar, as they're sitting right beside him. Morag is sitting opposite them, talking to both loudly. There's two empty seats-- one beside Morag, and one at the head of the table. 

I don't really know where to sit. 

"I'm back with the food!" Frankie announces, coming into the house, their arms laden with plastic bags that smell heavenly. I'm almost hungry. They lay the vertible feast out on the table, and the four of them delve into it, grabbing things at what seems like random. 

Frankie sits at the head of the table. Which makes my choice of where to sit so much easier-- Inside, I quietly thank them for that. If they had gestured for me to sit first, I think I would have had a panic attack. 

I sit quietly, just trying to absorb this. Len seems to be actually having a good time, eating and whispering with the person beside him. Morag has hoarded a good deal of the food, though she did pass me my wonton soup and rice. 

And some bonus egg rolls. That was nice. 

Frankie seems to just have some lo mein.  It actually doesn't look half-bad. 

I... have trouble with food sometimes. 

I swear it's not an eating disorder. 

It's something else, I swear, and I can get over it. 

I'm eating my wonton soup. It's good. It's-- well. It's not bland. But it's closer to bland than most people would like, and the dumplings are just pork without much seasoning, which means I can actually manage to eat them. I struggle when there's too much-- when the food's complicated. Soup, toast, a protein bar, those are easy. 

I don't want to intrude on the Locklear's family dynamic. I really don't-- I don't want to be the bastard that comes in and tries to make everything as productive as possible, to destroy the family and take away the children and the traditions. 

I just want to get my assignment done with as fast as possible. 

Then maybe I finally get to settle down. 

Maybe I can finally get my own flat. 

I bite into an egg roll, swearing that I'll be as unproblematic as possible. 

A.N. Wow these chapters are really short-- sorry bout that! But also uhh if you notice that L has like had a very big personality change-- my bad lmao. They were kinda a bitch honestly and I can't really write that personality very well, so now they're anxious. Because I have anxiety and it fucking sucks, especially with the food thing. Uh good bye thanks for reading lmao