Not that I was gonna let Ky know that.

"Whatever," I muttered, hoping she'd forget it. "It's no big deal."

"Awww!" Ky slung an arm around my shoulders, voice raising shrilly. "Alyx wants to smell good for his man!"

"Leave him alone, Ky," Robert muttered, descending the stairs.

Martin and Lucy trailed behind him, arms linked, Lucy laughing into his ear.

"Thankyou," I sighed, pulling away. "Are we ready to go?"

"I think so," Lucy said.

"Who are you riding with?" Ky asked, turning to Robert.

I was riding with Martin and Lucy, and Ky was detouring to pick up her date on the way to school; she was taking Claire Riley from the softball team.

"I think I'll go with these morons," Robert replied, pointing at me. "I won't third-wheel you, Ky."

She grinned. "Much appreciated."

We all piled into Martin's car as Ky drove away, blaring music loudly through her open window.

"So, Alyx," Lucy began, peering over her seat as we pulled out of my driveway. "Is this your first high school dance?"

"I guess so," I admitted. "My last school dance was...God, I don't even remember."

"Sixth grade," Martin replied. "We went for an hour, and after a kid cracked his head open in front of us, my Mum picked us up."

Lucy's eyes widened in sympathy. "Aw, that sucks."

"Yeah, Martin and I pretty much swore off dances after that," I said, shrugging.

"But a certain someone convinced cynical old Alyx here to give them another shot," Robert broke in, wiggling his brows at me.

"Shut uuuuuup."

Lucy smiled. "That's cute."

I shrugged again, but my face burned as I gazed out the window.

The truth was, I was really nervous. It'd been a few months since I'd gotten back together with Cash, and while they'd been some of the happiest months of my life, I wasn't entirely sure about this dance. The students of Grammarville were insufferable at the best of times; snarky comments were bound to be plentiful tonight.

"Hey."

I turned as Robert tapped me on the shoulder.

"Don't stress, okay?" He smiled gently. "It'll be fine."

I nodded slowly, running a hand through my hair.

"What about you?" I added, glancing at Robert. "How are you feeling?" I knew he wasn't the biggest fan of public social events.

But Robert's smile widened into a broad grin. "Oh, me?"

He stared out the window as we pulled into the parking lot, watching Grammarville's dark, looming form materialise from the shadows. "I'll be just fine."

And looking into his face, I knew that was true.

- - - -

When we stepped into the gym foyer, it was completely empty. No Cash in sight.

"He said he'd meet me here," I said, glancing nervously at my phone. "He sent me a text fifteen minutes ago telling me he left." I looked up with wide eyes. "He should be here."

"Hey, don't panic." Martin placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "He'll be here."

"Want us to wait out here with you?" Robert asked.