CHAPTER 4

The rest of the week passed in a boring drag of classes and homework, and honestly, by the time my Friday English lesson rolled around, I'd almost forgotten about our new assignment. I wasn't exactly looking forward to it, and considering how little I really cared for 'Great Expectations', I wasn't too keen to read half-hearted comments from one of my classmates.

To make matters worse, as I approached the classroom, Cash and his on-again off-again girlfriend, Casey Truman, were making out in the doorway.

I waited for a moment, praying they'd hurry up and leave, and then, left with no choice, I braved the door.

"Excuse me," I muttered, trying to squeeze past.

Casey turned to me suddenly, irritably, as though my presence was a great inconvenience. "What do you want? Can't you see we're busy?" Her perfectly manicured nails ran impatient tracks through her long blonde hair. Beautiful and fashionable, Casey was every bit Cash's female counterpart. The pair looked like the perfect couple, the kind you'd see embracing on the cover of a magazine.

"Yeah," I replied, trying not to snicker, "I really can. But I just...I just need to get past."

"Oh." Casey's big brown eyes suddenly went soft, and she smiled gently. "Sorry about that, sweetie," she simpered, tugging Cash aside. She ran her fingers lightly down his chest. "I just get so carried away."

Cash peered at me out of the corner of his eye and smirked. "Jealous, Miller?"

Yeah. But it's Casey I'm jealous of.

"More than you'll ever know, Smith," I sighed mockingly. I thought I saw something flash through his gaze as I entered the classroom, but it might've been my imagination.

"You made it, mate," Robert cheered as I took my usual seat beside him. "Good for you."

"Ugh, don't start." I leaned back in my seat, trying to mentally erase the last few minutes from my mind. "Casey and Cash were putting on a two-person circus outside."

Robert sniffed. "I'm sure they make great clowns."

I stole a glance over my shoulder as the door creaked open, watching Cash glide in. His hoodie was disheleved, and he smoothed it down as he went to take his seat.

"Yeah."

Oh, why did people like him have to be so gloriously straight? I was beginning to think I just liked the challenge, the unavailability of him.

"Good afternoon, everyone," Mr. Reiner sang, entering the room. He had the blue bag under one arm and a pile of folders under the other. "Hope we're all having a pleasant day?"

"Oh, it's been amazing," Robert grumbled softly. "They ran out of fries in the cafeteria, and the water fountain exploded on me again."

I clicked my tongue sympathetically. "Tough break, man."

"I have divided the books equally among you," Mr. Reiner continued, proudly brandishing the bag. "When I call your name, please come to the front to collect yours."

"He's real proud of himself, isn't he?" Robert mused, shaking his head.

"He really thinks he did something here." I drummed my fingers thoughtfully across the table. "Are you even gonna read the book you get?"

Robert snorted. "I doubt it. I've got better things to do than read some moron's idea of top grade literature." He quirked a brow. "Will you?"

"I don't know," I replied with a shrug.

"Alyx Miller."

I glanced up at the sound of my name, then reluctantly rose to my feet.

Bryce wolf-whistled behind me. "What an ass!" he crowed in a horrifically insulting feminine voice.