Chapter 62

Luna and the others burst into the DoSD building, security watching them wearily as they tore through the halls. They stopped in front of Grant's office, Lloyd kicking open the door as they poured inside.

"What's going on? What do you need?" Grant asked, standing up from behind his desk. He seemed to notice the drop in numbers.

"The White Sand. They took Colin and Razaia. We think they took them to the Castle of The Eye, that's where they've taken us before," Lloyd said.

Grant noted the bruises and bloody lips among the kids. Lily had blood still gently trickling from her nose. Lloyd informed her of such, handing her a tissue. Grant nodded solemnly. "That man... tell me what I can do to help."

"We need resources, we need somewhere to stay, we need someone to make sure we're all okay, we need a plan..." Luna ran a hand through her hair. "We're too injured and worn out to get them now, we just need some time..."

☆★☆

Luna landed silently next to the Castle. The DoSD had approved their mission to get Colin and Razaia back. They had been missing for almost three days, and now as the sun disappeared over the horizon, Luna and the others were ready.

The mission was much like the last, gather intel, destroy communications, find Colin and Razaia, and get out safely. They were given a single van in case Colin or Razaia couldn't fly.

It was dark, the night like a blanket blotting out the sky, tenderly laid across the world.

This time, there was a guard at the entrance to the maintenance hall. Lloyd stepped up to him, swinging his arm until his fist connected with the man's face. He crumpled to the ground as Lily slipped from the trees and broke open the lock, throwing the door to a maintenance hall open.

Luna was the first one inside, clutching her sword with a grip so tight her hands were almost numb. Her palm was bleeding down the hilt of her blade. The others slipped in behind her, and before she had a moment to think, a hand was squeezing against her throat as another dragged her away.

She let out a scream, half of the sound disappearing as the air stopped coming to her lungs. It was a trap. She scoffed to herself. It was a trap and they walked right into it. The man's grip tightened around her neck. She saw Lily struggling against an iron grip from the corner of her eye. She desperately wanted to call out to her, but the fist around her neck prevented any words from escaping. She saw Lloyd, kneeling in a pool of blood, eyes glued to the ground and sword gripped to white knuckles in a shaking hand. For the first time in her life, she was truly terrified of him. She had been scared when he threw her against the wall in the Conference Room, but this was different. He looked murderous, and it chilled her to the bone.

Harper and Sylvia were nowhere to be seen. Luna concluded that she must have passed out for a moment, which would explain the difference in location and lapse in memory.

They were in the center of the Throne Room, the puddle of blood at Lloyd's feet expanding.

"Lloyd..." Skye taunted with a sing-song tone. "This is quite the predicament. What are you going to do about it?" The sing-song tone never dropped as she mocked him, a pout dropping to her lips.

Luna struggled, but she could feel all the air leaving her body, her arms and legs growing limp and her head feeling like it was filling with air. Air that her lungs desperately yearned for. Lily was turning purple only a few feet away from her, scratching at the hand that wrapped her neck. Luna fought to keep her eyes open.

Lloyd glared at Skye, the dark look capturing his features, a look Luna would never forget but wished with all her power that she would.

"You'll have to choose one," Skye's voice came again, the cheerful tone starting to drop.

He stepped closer to Lily, and the hand around Luna's neck tightened. He stopped, his look of murder dropping.

"Choose!" Her tone was humorless now.

Lloyd broke down, his confident facade dropping fully. How could he choose? He could save his twin sister, the girl he had grown up beside, who was always there for him no matter what. Or he could save his girlfriend, the love of his life, the girl he would do anything for. He had to pick one, or he would lose them both. But how could he choose? How could he choose?

"Lloyd!" Lily cried out, her voice strained; the feeling the man's grip tightening around her neck making her head want to burst.

His eyes shot up, his expression so broken Lily wished she could take away all his pain and runoff with him, just the two of them, away from all the chaos.

"You have to choose Luna... she's more important. You'll find another girlfriend, but you'll never replace your sister." Her voice was strained and sad, her tears flowing endlessly.

"No... Lily..." Lloyd's head was swimming. How could he get them both free? What could he do?

Sylvia dropped from the ceiling, her wings curling into the air as she brought her sword down on the arms that held Luna. She dropped to the floor, gasping for breath, blood rushing to her ears. The man clutched the bleeding gash, slinking back into the shadows. Sylvia dragged Luna to her feet, holding steady until she could stand on her own. Lily had ran to Lloyd, helping him to his feet. Harper stepped into Luna's vision, saying something Luna couldn't hear.

As they started walking, Harper had switched with Sylvia to help Luna. Her legs still felt weak and she was using the other girl for support.

They slipped out of the room, heading down towards the dungeon. "Colin!" Lloyd yelled. "Razaia! Are you guys down here?"

"Lloyd!" Razaia's voice cracked. "Back here!"

They sped over, Lloyd prying open the door with his sword. Luna pulled it open, stepping inside.

Razaia hugged Luna tightly, choking on her own tears and dropping her head on to her shoulder with a sob. "I knew you would find us," she cried, her usual loud voice now quiet and calm.

Lloyd helped Colin up, slinging Colin's arm around his shoulder. "We have to get out of here," Lloyd said.

"What about Silas?" Razaia voiced, letting Luna go.

"Silas is here?" Lily breathed.

"Yeah, they took him less than an hour ago." Colin responded, wincing as he tried to move.

"Where?" Lily's tone was dull.

"I don't know—"

"I'm sorry Lily, but we don't have time. We'll come back for him, but now we have to go."

Lily sighed. "I know, let's get out of here."