Chapter 10

Luna sat in the bleachers in the gym with Lily and Razaia, Lily's face fully red as she told them about Lloyd asking her out. She had her hands pressed to her face from her overflowing emotions, and Luna was reassuring her that she would surely kill him if he did anything wrong.

Lily giggled, looking out at the basketball court. She furrowed her eyebrows, trying to spot the mop of blonde. From where she was sitting, she could see Trae's dirty blonde hair and another player's bleach-blonde, but she couldn't see Lloyd. Luna picked up on her puzzled expression and looked out at the players as well.

"Where is he anyway?" Lily asked gently, scanning the players again. "I haven't seen him since lunch, and he was acting really weird..."

"I have no idea. I think he's just a bit nervous about taking you on a date, but it's not like him to miss practice. I hope he's okay."

Razaia waved Colin over when he caught her gaze. "Have you seen Lloyd anywhere?" She asked him, leaning across the bleachers.

Colin shook his head. "I know he came in, but he hasn't been on the court." He paused, looking around the gym. "I'll go look for him."

"Thanks," Luna said, turning back to the girls.

"Lloyd?" Colin asked incredulously as he walked into the locker room. "What are you doing in here?"

Lloyd was sitting up against one of the lockers, running his hands through his hair. He pulled his knees closer to himself, turning his gaze up to Colin. "I... I couldn't come to practice."

"Why not?" Colin stepped closer. "Are you alright? You seem sick."

"I'm not—I'm not sick. I just, I..." He tugged on his blonde bangs as the fingers he ran through them caught on a few knots.

Colin raised an eyebrow. "Lloyd, what is this about?" Colin slid down beside him.

"I asked Lily out on a date yesterday..." he trailed.

"And?" Colin drawled.

"And, I don't know. I've never been on a date with anyone. I really like Lily and I don't want to screw it up."

"So... let me get this straight," Colin said with a light-hearted smirk. "You asked out the pretty new girl and have been stressing out about a date, to the point of making yourself sick, for almost twenty-four hours?"

Lloyd paused, looking at his hands. He let out a short laugh. "Yeah, pretty much." He ran a shaking hand through his hair again. "I just want it to be perfect."

"It will be," Colin clapped him on the shoulder. "Now c'mon, the whole team has been wondering where you are. Not to mention that the girls are freaking out."

Lloyd's face turned pink.

Trae poked his head in through the door. "What's taking you so long..." he trailed off. "So he was in here, see I was right." Trae stepped inside as Lloyd and Colin stood up. Trae looked at Lloyd with an uneasy look. "Are you okay, man?"

Lloyd nodded. "I'm fine."

"He's stressed out because he asked Lily-Rose out on a date," his tone was light, and although Lloyd couldn't see his face, he was sure he was laughing at him.

Trae nodded, a grin spreading across his face. "You've got any ideas in mind?"

"I don't know, maybe a date at the park? We could get ice cream or food or something..." He tried to keep the color from spreading across his face.

"Sure," Trae said shortly. "Now come back out, coach sent me to get you guys." Trae left the room, leaving Lloyd and Colin alone again.

"Don't stress about it, she'll love whatever you end up planning."

"Are you sure?"

Colin nodded, leaving the room. Lloyd followed, stepping out onto the brightly lit court. The girls sat on the bottom row of bleachers, talking amongst themselves. Lloyd couldn't bring himself to look over at Lily. The sight of her blonde hair made his stomach twist in anxiety and excitement.

☆★☆

Luna turned to Lily with a giddy expression. "Are you excited?"

Lily let out a nervous laugh. "I am..."

"You shouldn't be nervous, Lloyd's the sweetest boy on the planet," Razaia cut in from the row above them.

"I'm not—I'm not nervous." Lily crossed her arms.

"Aw, come on Lily. I know my brother. He'll have something amazing planned out for you."

Lily blushed lightly. She turned to look out at the court. She was surprised to see him standing next to Colin since he hadn't been on the court the last time she had looked up. She looked back to Luna and Razaia.

"If you want, you can tell me what your dream date is, and I can pitch him some ideas." Luna said.

Lily giggled. "Are you being serious?"

"One hundred percent." Luna had a slight playfulness to her tone, but her eyes were serious.

"Um, well..." Lily paused. "I've never been on a date before. I don't know what you're supposed to do on one."

"I guess you just talk and get to know each other better."

"Or you could go to the movies, or ice skating, or roller skating, or just go for a walk or—"

Luna cut Razaia off with a wave of a hand. "I'll make sure he comes up with something really amazing, I promise."

Lily's smile widened. "Thanks, Luna."