Chapter 36

Luna stalked down the dark hallway, stopping when she reached a door. It was cracked open, and on the other side was a small room flooded with green light. Four figures stood, sets of two facing one another. Elijah, Skye, Cleo, and Robyn. She was sure it was them.

"The Eye has requested to see you," the terrifying thunder of Elijah's voice echoed. "He knows you two are here."

"How?" Robyn demanded. "Unless you told him, he wouldn't know."

Elijah smirked. "Why wouldn't I tell him?"

"Elijah..." Cleo's voice came out more like a growl.

Elijah drew his sword. Skye was standing next to him, her arms crossed and a genuinely bored expression on her face.

"How could you do this—both of you!" Cleo's fists were shaking at her sides. Tears were forming in her eyes.

"Aw, are you gonna cry?" Elijah mocked her.

Robyn scoffed, nocking away Elijah's blade with the back of her hand. "She's right. How could you possibly side with my father?"

"You know why," Elijah said, his tone cool and dark. "The Eye will give me everything I deserve."

"And you?" Robyn asked bitterly as she turned to Skye.

"I have no one left."

"That's not true," Cleo said. "You still have us." The tears were spilling down her cheeks now.

Skye shook her head. "I won't leave Elijah."

He just laughed in response. His laugh was heavy and strange and dark. It sent a chill down Luna's spine. She noticed her hands were shaking, so she clenched her fists to still them. Her nails bit into her palms, drawing blood.

"We're quite happy here, I don't know why you two would risk coming back. How the hell did you get in here?"

"I used to live here, dipshit," Robyn muttered.

"How could you do this Elijah?" Cleo's voice was a soft whimper. "We trusted you... we loved you..."

"What are you doing here anyway?" He spat, sheathing the sword.

"We came to see you, both of you, to make sure you were alright." Cleo said through deep, angry breaths.

"Why the hell would you do that? We haven't been friends for years." He retorted with a growl. A look of disappointment flashed over Cleo's face. Robyn snarled at him, her expression hardening.

"What is wrong with you? We used to be friends. We used to fight my father together. Have you thought about any of us since the War of the Fates? What happened to you?" Robyn was on the verge of tears as she spat her words at her old friend.

"I work for The Eye now, it's been that way since the war."

"Can you stop calling him that?" Robyn sounded defeated, though her jaw was still clenched in defiance.

"Alright, Marcus wishes to see you then. I'll tell him you stopped by." He winked at them, a sadistic smile on his face.

Luna froze as her gaze met Elijah's. He stormed over, ripping the door open and snatching her by the arm. "And just what are you doing here, babydoll?"

"That's none of your concern." Luna ripped her arm from his grasp, stumbling backwards and holding up her sword as he reached for her again.

"Don't touch her," Robyn put a hand on Luna's shoulder and pulled her away from him.

"Don't worry little birdie," he spat at Robyn. "I won't hurt her. You're the one The Eye is after." He shifted his attention to Luna. "I hope you didn't come here for the blonde one, The Eye won't be happy."