Deal with a Demon: Frayed

It'd been three days since Taehyung's passing.

Hoseok was still staying in Jungkook's home because Yoongi hadn't, understandably, gotten in contact with them yet. So Jungkook said for him to make himself at home, pointing out with an awkward grin that it could be payback for the month he had stayed at Hoseok's apartment.

Though Hoseok appreciated the offer, he didn't feel right sleeping in another person's bed—demon or not. So he slept on the couch, using a spare comforter Jungkook had unearthed from his closet. He often buried himself deep within it, curling into the corner of the couch, and shut himself out from the world. A quiet hiding place—until Jungkook gently pulled him out for a meal.

That was how it went for Hoseok's stay: He'd conceal himself from the world's shunning eyes, and Jungkook would always put him back together long enough to choke down a home-cooked meal.

Don't get him wrong. Hoseok was eternally grateful for Jungkook's company, but he felt...wrong. Dirty, almost, for taking up Jungkook's time with his desperate mourning when Jungkook should be helping Yoongi grieve. And there wasn't selfish intent in his discomfort; he didn't want Jungkook to get Yoongi through his sorrow so that Yoongi could search for a client. He just wouldn't be able to live with himself if Yoongi was left to deal with this tragedy on his own because nobody deserved a fate so cruel, so utterly lonesome.

"Hyung," Jungkook called, voice just as gentle and soothing as the day Hoseok broke down. "It's time for lunch."

Hoseok had enough courage that day to poke his head out unprompted. He was greeted by Jungkook's tender smile and delicate fingers carding through his unruly hair.

"You should probably shower and change today, hyung," Jungkook continued. "I've got some spare clothes you can use."

It was then Hoseok noticed how filthy he was. He hadn't changed clothes since he arrived in Hell, and he hadn't showered since the morning of Taehyung's memory revelation.

Hoseok felt himself choke up.

It was still hard. Remembering him.

"Okay," Hoseok said, voice hoarse from hours upon hours of silence.

Jungkook offered Hoseok another smile and took Hoseok's hands into his as he pulled Hoseok from the couch. "The bathroom's the second door to the right. Leave your clothes outside the door, and I'll wash them."

Hoseok nodded and stumbled over to the bathroom. As he closed the door behind himself, he glanced at himself in the mirror, and he grimaced.

He didn't paint a pretty picture. Eyes swelled from days' worth of tears, skin pasty-white from the sun's innocent neglect, Hoseok looked every bit as miserable as he felt.

As he stripped from his greasy, crinkled outfit, he heard Jungkook knock on the door. "Hyung?" he called. "I have to go to the store real quick. Will you be alright by yourself?"

Hoseok had to stop himself from laughing at the irony of it all. Because hadn't he been the one making sure Jungkook could keep himself in check with no one to watch over him just a month prior? And now, here he was, being treated like he had no more self-responsibility than a child.

Pathetic.

"Hyung?" Jungkook said, voice betraying his concern. "Will you be okay?"

"Yeah," Hoseok managed.

Jungkook let out a hum that didn't sound convinced, but his retreating footsteps muffled themselves behind the door.

Hoseok strained his ears, and when the front door closing echoed beyond the bathroom, he released a breath of relief. He unbuttoned his shirt and let it slip off his shoulders onto the floor, kicking it to the side with his pants. He approached the shower and twisted the knob.