Deal with a Manager: Probed

"Okay." Hoseok clapped his hands, took a deep breath, and stared Jungkook down. "What the fuck."

The past twenty minutes had been dedicated to Jungkook's retelling of his little "adventure" into the city. The demon went on to talk about how he had wandered the streets in search of suitable Christmas presents for Hoseok, before concluding that he wouldn't be able to do so since people weren't aware of his existence.

"But then the strangest thing happened," Jungkook spoke.

His voice held a lilt of wonder, and Hoseok silently braced himself for the news that was about to befall him.

"I bumped into Taehyung at the mall, and he noticed me."

Hoseok breathed in, harsh and deep.

"So," Jungkook continued, unaware of Hoseok's reaction, "I told him I was your roommate, Hoseok-hyung, and that I was looking for a Christmas present for you. He offered to buy whatever I had in mind, so. I mean." He gave a half-hearted motion toward the shopping bags that were perched on Hoseok's desk. "Kinda bought a lot since he's a money bags in the making."

"'Money bags,'" Jimin repeated, voice weak and awed.

"Taehyung-ah saw you," Hoseok stated.

"Yeah, about that," Jungkook said with a sheepish look in his eyes. "There might be something going on with me that's not all that normal."

"Care to share with the class?" Hoseok mused.

"I kinda sorta may be having a reaction to something from my past life."

Hoseok raised an eyebrow. "Like, an allergic reaction or...?"

"No, no." Jungkook frowned and tousled his already unkempt hair. "I guess I should explain, huh?"

"Looks like it's gonna be an informative day for me," Hoseok sighed, slouching into his chair.

--

Six days later, Taehyung was having a New Year's Eve celebration at his penthouse, and Hoseok was, yet again, his honored guest. An early invitation and welcoming were the only perks to the title, but Hoseok appreciated the sentiment nonetheless.

"I can get pretty wild when exhausted, so just go ahead and stop me from doing anything stupid after midnight," Taehyung had requested of Hoseok before leaving him to gather the celebratory explosives.

"The party lasts even after midnight?" Jimin questioned with a tinge of distaste.

"Humans aren't really self-preservative creatures," Hoseok offered as an explanation.

Hoseok awaited the typical snide side-comment from a pouty pair of lips but was jolted from his scripted scenario when remembering the earlier agreement between the three of them that bringing Jungkook along would be too risky.

"I mean," Jungkook had said, "we still don't know why he's able to see me besides a loose sort of theory. So if you just bring me along without any explanation or earlier notice, then I'm sure Taehyung will figure something's up."

("That was the smartest thing I've ever heard him say," Jimin had whispered in silent awe.)

So, there Hoseok was. Going to Taehyung's New Year's Eve party without his go-to chaperone. Granted, Jimin was still there, the angel never really did anything. He mostly stared longingly at the dancing crowds that had four too many glasses of that rich wine Taehyung managed to nab a dozen bottles of.