Chapter 4: Back to School

Start from the beginning

"So is Mel not in?" Poppy asked taking a bit of her sandwich.

I shrugged. "I haven't seen her. And I've tried calling her but she isn't answering."

Melissa was one of my best friends. But she was a bit different from myself and Poppy. Dont get me wrong, Melissa was an amazing person and I loved her to bits, but in comparison to me and Poppy who were quite confident and outgoing, Melissa was quiet, obsorbed in books and focused on her grades. Some may have called her a geek or a nerd, and they'd probably be right. And therefore, it was very unusual for Melissa to miss school, especially the first day.

"It's weird. I'm kind of worried." Poppy munched.

"To be honest, I haven't really heard much from her over the summer." I said.

"Really? Even after the accident?" Poppy asked.

I nodded. "She came to visit me once, but thats it. We texted briefly."

"That's really weird." Poppy said. "Now that I think of it, neither have I."

"But then again, Melissa isn't like us. She likes to keep to herself and have some alone time." I reminded Poppy. "Maybe this is one of those times, if you know what I mean." But by the blank look on my best friends face I could tell she didnt because she wasn't listening.
"Poppy! Are you okay?" I asked louder.

Her head snapped and she looked at me with a smile. "Yeah everything's fine." The smile was noticeably fake.

"What's behind me?" I asked.
She looked down at her food. "What do you mean?"

"You're such a sh*t liar." I laughed. "I saw you looking at something behind me, what was it?"

Poppy sighed. "Nothing you'd want to see."

I rolled my eyes. "You're over exaggerating." I twisted in my seat to look at the far end of the lunch hall and I regretted it at once. Liam was leaning against the wall with Nicole leaning against him. Her arms were on his chest and his arms were holding her waist. How could I be so surprised? I couldn't watch it any longer, and twisted back around to face Poppy.

"The Queen Bee is all over the high school hottie. What a surprise." I commented sarcastically, trying to hide how upset I was.

"If it makes you feel any better, I don't think he's holding her." Poppy told me. "I'm quite sure he's pushing her away."

I shrugged. "He can be making out with her for all I care." Lies.

Poppy sighed. "Stop lying to yourself Luce."

"I'm not! We're not a couple." I defended.

Poppy opened her mouth to speak but it wasn't her voice that I heard.

"Who's not a couple? You and Patrick White?" We both looked up to be met by Nicole Jacobs, the Queen Bee, and her minion of a best friend, Natalie Harries. Nicole was smirking at me, her right arm on her right hip, emphasising her perfect curves.

"What would you know?" Poppy retorted.

Nicole turned to Poppy for a split second. "I know enough." Before turning back to me. "It must be so heartbreaking to not be in a relationship with an abuser." The sarcasm was reaking.

"He's not an abuser." Why was I defending him?

She looked at me sympathetically. "Gosh you're such a victim. Did that fall mess with your head?"

"I don't think it had to." Natalie added in, earning a giggle from Nicole.

"He didn't hit me, he pushed me and I fell." I lied. I mean, he did push me, and I did fall, but before that, he hand repeatedly grabbed my wrists, hit me and hurt me in numerous ways.

Nicole rolled her eyes. "Oh come on Banks, even you don't believe that." And without another word, she flicked her hair and walked thriugh the hall.

I sighed. "What a b*tch." Poppy muttered. "I swear, if this wasn't a plastic fork, I'd be forcing it through her eyeballs."

I laughed a little before the bell for last period rang.

"What do you have now?" Poppy asked.

"History."

"With Hot Hamilton?" Poppy teased.

"Oh sh*t." I cursed. "I forgot he's in my class."

Poppy smiled. "Well have fun, I'll see you tomorrow." And with that we split up and went our separate ways.

When I reached the classroom, I realised I was late. I knocked on the door before entering. "I'm sorry I'm late sir."

Mr Benson looked at me unimpressed. "Late on the first day, what does that say about you?"

I didn't answer because I knew it was a rhetorical question. Instead, I scanned the classroom looking for my usual seat which I noticed was occupied by a red haired girl named Ana.

"Miss Banks, take a sit next to Mr Jacobs." My teacher answered my thoughts.

I sighed. Not Harry Jacobs. Yes, in case you're wondering, the surname does sound familiar because he was Nicole's twin brother. He was part of the 'popular clan', he was a footballer, and one of Liam's closest friends, whom he was sitting in front of. I really didn't need this.

"Sir I--"

"No discussions. Had you come earlier, you wouldn't have to live through the torture of Jacobs by your side for the next year," My teacher shrugged. "But you were late, so sit down and stop wasting my time."

With another sigh I strutted to the second row from the back of the classroom and took my seat. I didn't dare to steal a glance at Liam who was behind me, too risky.

"I didn't realise I was that unpleasant." Harry whispered to me as I took out my book.

I smiled. "You're not. I just don't know you."

"Well we all start off as strangers." He winked.

I laughed quietly, extending my arm to him. "Well stranger, my name is Lucy Banks."

He shook my hand with a chuckle. "Hello Lucy, my name is Harry Jacobs, and its a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

So maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

http://www.polyvore.com/first_day_back/set?id=126162334