6

"when do you get off?" alex asked.

"3am." i sighed looking at my watch.

"same." he said adding,

"let's go to the bar down the street."

"sounds good. i'll meet you at the main exit, 2:55." i smiled, walking off to go check on my patients since it was already 2:15.

-

after doing my rounds i went to the locker room. i opened my locker and grabbed my bookbag from it as well as my fresh change of clothes.

i pulled off my scrubs and slipped on a different bra and my ripped skinny jeans before dr. garcia walked in.

"hey wilson." he hummed, heading over to his locker.

"how'd your surgeries go today?" i asked, putting my shirt on as he got dressed out of his scrubs.

"they went fine. one of my patients is barely four so that was a shitty surgery."

garcia's a neurosurgeon. so he works on brains and stuff. Dr. Yang's a cardio-thoracic surgeon, williams does plastics (burns, etc.) and I'm chief of surgery, so i can claim certain patients but i mostly direct the staff and all programs within the surgical department. i work close with the hospital staff, department directors, and physicians to make sure the highest standards of quality and service are maintained.

"damn that is a fucked up surgery." i replied, taking a seat on my bench.

"i hate doing surgeries on kids. it breaks my heart." i added, fiddling with my hands in my lap.

"i know." he agreed, looking at me then back to his locker.

"are you okay payton?" he asked before taking a seat next to me.

it shocked me since we've only referred to each other as "dr." i honestly thought he didn't like me, since the hospital moved me out here like i was some big deal.

"yeah, i'm fine." i smiled.

"you can talk to me if you want." he replied, slipping his shirt on.

"it's just personal issues. i don't wanna bore you." i laughed, as he looked at me strangely.

"what?" i asked, wondering what he was looking at.

"you couldnt bore me. i enjoy talking to you, i mean we are friends after all." he laughed.

"i'm just going through a lot. i'm working like a psychopath. don't get me wrong i love my job more than anything. and that's the problem." i rambled as he nodded so i could continue.

"plus this guy i've been talking to slash hating slash dating for like fifteen years just told me he wanted an open relationship and when i said no he backtracked and was like 'oh you're good enough for me i need you' but i feel like i'm not what he wants. and honestly my feelings aren't strong for him, like at all. that shit faded eventually, i like someone else, i've like him for a long long time now. he was the first person to welcome me home. like don't get me wrong i will always have love for harry but it's truly getting so tiring ." i sighed.

"i get that. it's how me and my ex were. she was so toxic. i loved her but she couldn't accept the fact that i work long hours, and i love being a surgeon so quitting is never gonna be an option. and about the guy, tell him while you can, you never know when it's too late." he replied, as i nodded.

"finally someone that understands." i smiled as he agreed.

we continued talking while putting on our shoes and getting our bags.