Chapter Four

"Come over tonight," Jake leaned forward on his elbows, red eyes inches from his computer screen. Some blurry bit of black and white video footage played on a loop. Nothing was clear enough to make out except what might have been a car and a bright flash of light. He knew what it was meant to be but that didn't do anything to help him make out the backdoor exit to the restaurant that had burnt down a few years ago.

"I can't, double shift," Hannah replied sadly. "I could do lunch tomorrow though."

"It's a date, I'll clear my schedule." He rustled through a notebook. "There, I'm all yours."

"Weren't you already?" she teased, falling silent after. The sound of her biting at her thumbnail was almost audible over the phone. "I'm sorry we don't see each other that often these days."

"Don't be," Jake said. He sat back in his chair, eyes focused on a dot on the ceiling. "You're doing something amazing and I see you when I see you. Besides, we talk all the time and it's not like you're avoiding me." His eyebrow twitched as he thought about how many times he'd had to avoid her. Somehow he didn't think canceling a date to hack into a database would go over well in terms of an explanation.

"I know, but I still hate keeping you waiting around for me."

"Babe, I'd wait for you til the sun died." He rubbed his eyes to flush out a bit of dust. "And I do have a life of my own you know."

"Really? What's that like?" The hospital intercom cut her off for a second, the squeak of her chair following it.

"I don't know, I was hoping you would fall for my bluff," Jake admitted. His smile stretched even further when he heard her laugh.

"Dork." She quieted as the intercom went off again. "Gotta go, see you tomorrow. Text me when you get home, okay?"

"I will. Go save lives!"

"Be safe!" she called back and the line went dead.

Jake dropped the phone onto his desk and pressed the heels of his palms into his eyes. He didn't know if he was trying to chase away dust or sleepiness anymore. All he managed to do was make himself see spots for a few seconds. Across the room he spotted a familiar bald head bent over a stack of papers.

"Warren," he called out. The smaller man turned and Jake nodded towards the copy room. They made their separate ways there and shut the door firmly behind them.

"You look like shit," Warren said bluntly. He looked Jake up and down, eyes lingering on the ketchup stain on his left collar.

"Thanks," Jake muttered, rubbing at the stain and making it worse. "I got the new schematics, second run tomorrow night."

"If you're asking me to tag along, the answer is no. I didn't get paid last time." Warren reached out for the door but Jake blocked his way.

"I didn't get paid either, but this time will be different," he insisted. Jake's shoulder drooped at his continued refusal. "Warren, please. I need that clip and she's the only one that can get it for me. I can't do this without you."