By the time that Jennifer was 24, Daniel had grown weary of trying to pursue a relationship with her. As Jennifer was so daunted and restricted by her parents that she lived at home and only met him in secret, Daniel began to date another young woman whom he soon fell in love with. Jennifer quickly invented a new story and told Daniel that a man had entered her house, showing what appeared to be a police badge. She then told him that several men had rushed in and gang raped her. After this, she insisted that a bullet was mailed to her, telling Daniel that it was sent from his new girlfriend. 

In Spring 2010, Jennifer was in contact with Andrew Montemayor, a high school friend who, she claims, had boasted in their high school years about robbing people at knife point, an assertion denied by Andrew. Andrew introduced her to Ricardo Duncan, a "goth kid" whom Jennifer gave $1,500 to kill her father in the parking lot at his workplace. Ricardo says that once she gave him $200 for a night out, but that he returned it, and that he rebuffed her when she asked him to kill her parents.

Jennifer and Daniel were back in contact at this time and according to police, came up with a plan to hire a professional hitman for $10,000 to kill her parents, calculating that she would then inherit £500,000. They planned to move in together. Daniel connected Jennifer with a man, Lenford Roy Crawford, Jamaican born, whom he called "Homeboy", and gave her a SIM card and an iPhone so that she could contact Lenford without using her usual cell phone. Lenford contact another man, named Eric Shawn "Sniper" Carty, who in turn contacted Montreal born David Mylvaganam. Lenford lived in Brampton and David lived in Toronto, while Eric, who previously lived in Rexdale, Toronto, at the time did not have a fixed residence. The Crown Prosecution states that David was one of the hitmen. Eric was later found responsible for an unrelated murder, and journalist Grimaldi states that Eric was "a repeat violent offender".

The murder took place at the Pan house in Unionville neighbourhood in Markham, Ontario. On 8th November, 2010, Jennifer unlocked the front door of the family home when she went to bed, then spoke by phone to David. Shortly afterwards, David and 2 other people entered the home through the unlocked front door, all carrying guns. In the court testimony, the Crown did not establish the identity of the other 2 hitmen; Daniel and Lenford were at work. Eric states that he was the driver for those who broke into the house, and that he selected them and was involved in plotting the attack. He did not states that he was one of the 3 or that he directly attacked others. Grimaldi stated that the identity of the trigger person remains unknown.

After demanding all the money in the house and ransacking the main bedroom, the 3 men took Bich and Huei to the basement where they shot them multiple times. Bich was killed but Huei would survive his wounds. The 3 men then took all the cash that was in the house including $2,000 from Jennifer and left. Jennifer claimed that they tied her up, but that she managed to free her hands and dial 911. Huei was treated at Markham Stouffville Hospital, before being moved to a trauma unit at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto, by aircraft. 

The evening after the murder, Jennifer underwent her first interview with the police. She was arrested on 22nd November, 2010, during her third interview at the Markham police station of York Regional Police. During that interview Jennifer admitted that she hired killers, but states that she hired them to kill her. The interrogating police officer, William "Bill" Goetz, falsely told Jennifer that he had computer software that could analyse untruths in statements and that there were satellites that used infrared technology to analyse movements in buildings; in Canada police are legally allowed to lie to those they are interrogating in regards to the evidence in the trial, as well as in regards to the strategies they are using. William had used the Reid technique to ensnare Jennifer. 

David was arrested at the Jane Finch Mall in North York, Toronto on 14th April, 2011. Eric was arrested at the prison he was held in, Maplehurst Correctional Complex in Milton, Ontario, on 15th April, 2011. Daniel was arrested on 26th April, 2011 at his place of employment. Lenford was the final suspect arrested, entering custody on 4th May, 2011 in Brampton.

The trial of Jennifer and her accomplices began on 19th March, 2014 in Newmarket and continued for 10 months. All pleaded not guilty to the charges of first degree murder, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder. At the trial, York Regional Police evidence included exhaustive tracking of the mobile device movements and text message traffic, including over 100 messages sent between Jennifer and Daniel in the 6 hours prior to the killing. Further evidence centred around the atypical nature of the "break in", "robbery", shootings, and irregularities in Jennifer's testimony. Jennifer's obsession with Daniel, her lack of true emotion and a confession regarding the attack, and recognition of the trauma she underwent were also detailed. A major irregularity was that Jennifer was not assaulted, blindfolded, taken to the basement, nor shot, leaving behind an eyewitness to the attack. Evidence from Huei, which differed greatly from Jennifer's version, also undermined her credibility, as did her inability to recreate the conditions of her 911 call when her hands were bound behind her. The trial included over 200 exhibits; over 50 witnesses testified at the trial. 

Jennifer, Daniel, David and Lenford were all convicted on 13th December, 2014, and each received a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years. 

Originally Eric was tried with the other perpetrators. Edward Sapiano, Eric's lawyer fell ill, so around the Summer of 2014 his case was declared a mistrial. In December 2015, Eric received an 18 year sentence after pleading guilty to conspiring to commit murder. He was to be eligible for parole after 9 years. According to Eric, he did not wish to subject Huei to another criminal trial. 

Jennifer was sentenced to life with no parole for 25 years for the murder of her mother, and attempted murder of her father. Jennifer's father and brother requested a court order that banned Jennifer from contacting members of her surviving family. Despite the objections of the defence lawyers, the judge filed the order. Jennifer was also banned from contacting Daniel.

As of 2016 Jennifer was serving her sentence at the Grand Valley Institution for Women in Kitchener, Ontario. Daniel, previously held in Lindsay, Ontario, was at Collins Bay Institution in Kingston, Ontario. David was at Atlantic Institution in Renous, New Brunswick. Lenford was at Kent Institution in Agassiz, British Columbia. Eric, who requested to go to a federal prison in Western Canada or Atlantic Canada, was still at the provincial Millhaven Assessment Unit, awaiting his transfer to a federal prison. Eric, was later moved to Kent, died in his cell on 26th April, 2018. 

Bich's funeral was held on 15th November, 2010 and took place at the Odgen Chapel in Scarborough. A funeral for Bich's father was held, according to Jennifer, prior to Bich's to satisfy a Chinese custom that asks for older members of the family to have their funerals first. Jennifer had organised both funerals and had been asked to do so. Bich was buried on 19th November. Huei could not attend due to his injuries.